What's the relationship between T = r X F and T = I(alpha)?

In summary, the difference between T = r X F and T = I(alpha) is that the former is the definition of torque while the latter is an expression of Newton's second law for rotational motion. Both formulas can be used to solve for a variable and are essentially equivalent.
mrbill
What's the difference between T = r X F and T = I(alpha)? My book really sucks it up with the explanations. Both make sense to me. The answer is right in front of me I am sure, but I am just not catching it. One is merely an expression of Newton's second law? Bah, it can't be that simple!

MrBill.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mrbill
Bah, it can't be that simple!
That's pretty much it. T = r X F is the definition of torque; T = I*α is Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion.

There is no difference, they're just 2 formulas relating to the same; that's why the two formulas can be set equal to each other in order to solve for a certain variable.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the tendency of an object to keep rotating at a constant speed and direction.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

While linear momentum measures an object's motion in a straight line, angular momentum measures its rotational motion. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a pseudovector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction but does not follow the same rules of vector addition.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate. It is defined as the product of the force and the distance from the pivot point, or fulcrum, to the point where the force is applied. Torque is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. How is torque related to angular momentum?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, torque is equal to the rate of change of an object's angular momentum. In other words, the application of a force to an object will cause it to rotate and therefore change its angular momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum and torque are important concepts in physics and are used in many areas, including engineering, astronomy, and sports. For example, angular momentum is used in the design of satellites and spacecraft, while torque is used in the operation of machines and vehicles. In sports, understanding the principles of angular momentum and torque can help athletes improve their performance, such as in figure skating and diving.