1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum uniform rod problem

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    well, ive tried, and ive tried, but i cant seem to get this one right, my TA did it in class, but left something out i think, he did it in a big hurry, so i cant get an answer thats right.... ill show you what ive tried, and maybe you can spot my error? any help is much appreciated

Figure 11-49 is an overhead view of a thin uniform rod of length 0.600 m and mass M that is rotating horizontally at 80.5 rad/s counterclockwise about an axis through its center. A particle of mass M/3.00 and speed 41.5 m/s hits the rod and sticks. The particle's path is perpendicular to the rod at the instant of the hit, at a distance d from the rod's center.
    (a) At what value of d are rod and particle stationary after the hit?

ok, so our ta worked out the cross produt of r and the particle, and used that to get the equation (1/12)mL^2 omega^2-d(m/3)v=0.... so you sove that out, and get d=(L^2omega^2)/4v but thats just not right... what am i doing wrong? any help? thanks in advance
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    somebody has to have SOME ideas.... come on guys...
  4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    i guess nobody knows how to do it, at least im not the only one
  5. Nov 7, 2004 #4
    well i don't think u wrote down what ur TA wrote correctly

[tex]L = d * p = d(M/3)v [/tex] cause its perp to the rod
    [tex]L = Iw = \frac{1}{12}ML^2w[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{12}ML^2w - d(M/3)v = 0[/tex]
    [tex]d = \frac{L^2w}{4v} = 0.175m[/tex]

u don't square the angluar velocity im not sure why u had that..
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  6. Nov 7, 2004 #5
    maybe i did, but i think it was cause he was in a hurry, he did it in less than 2 minutes, cuase we had to take a quiz before we left, but either way, thanks for the help man, stupid mistakes always hurt : (
  7. Nov 7, 2004 #6
    glad to help!
  8. Nov 7, 2004 #7
    thnk you could help on that other one i posted down lower, about variables? cause that one ive racked my brain on for a while... still no result though.... you seem to know this stuff pretty well too
  9. Nov 7, 2004 #8
    post a link
  10. Nov 7, 2004 #9
    hahah, nevermind, gingerbread helped me out.... i was overlooking the obvious, but thanks for the offer!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?