Angular momentum vector

In summary, the conversation discusses angular momentum vector, a physical quantity that describes rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying moment of inertia by angular velocity, and it is a vector quantity. The main difference between angular momentum vector and linear momentum vector is that the former describes rotational motion and is a vector quantity, while the latter describes linear motion and is a scalar quantity. Angular momentum vector can change if there is a change in moment of inertia or angular velocity, and some real-life examples include the spinning of a top, rotation of a planet, and movement of a spinning figure skater.
edanzig
A bicycle is traveling North. The direction of the angular momentum vector of it's front wheel is?

I chose "North." The answer is West. Why?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up right hand rule for vector products.

The direction is given by the right hand rule.

[itex]\hat{L}= \hat{r} \times m \hat{v}[/itex]

My mistake. I know nothing of this topic, I should have looked before asking...

The direction of the angular momentum vector of the front wheel of a bicycle is determined by the direction of the rotation of the wheel. In this case, the wheel is rotating clockwise, which means the direction of the angular momentum vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and points towards the left of the direction of rotation. Since the bicycle is traveling North, the left direction would be West. This is based on the right-hand rule, where the direction of the angular momentum vector is determined by curling the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the rotation and your thumb will point towards the direction of the vector.

What is angular momentum vector?

Angular momentum vector is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

How is angular momentum vector calculated?

Angular momentum vector is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The formula for angular momentum vector is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between angular momentum vector and linear momentum vector?

The main difference between angular momentum vector and linear momentum vector is that angular momentum describes rotational motion, while linear momentum describes linear motion. Angular momentum is also a vector quantity, while linear momentum is a scalar quantity.

Can angular momentum vector change?

Yes, angular momentum vector can change if there is a change in the moment of inertia or the angular velocity of an object. This change can be caused by external forces, such as torque, acting on the object.

What are some real-life examples of angular momentum vector?

Some real-life examples of angular momentum vector include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a planet around its axis, and the movement of a spinning figure skater. These all involve objects with a non-zero moment of inertia rotating around a fixed axis.