1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum vs energy

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    the problem is the following:

we have a vertical wooden bar pivoted from the top end, length [tex] 2 l [/tex], mass [tex] M [/tex]

a bullet with mass [tex] m [/tex] hits it in the middle at velocity [tex] v [/tex] and gets stuck

i am asked to find the angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex] of the system bar+bullet immediately after the hit

i do know this calls for applying the conservation of energy or angular momentum, for some reason however i get different results

Both if them involve the moment of inertia of the combined system, [tex] I_{\Sigma}=\frac{1}{3} M (2l)^2 + m l^2 = \frac{4}{3} M l^2 + m l^2[/tex]

Conservation of angular momentum gives me [tex]m v l = \omega I_{\Sigma} [/tex], from which [tex] \omega = \frac{m v l}{I_{\Sigma}} = \frac{m v l}{\frac{4}{3}M l^2+m l^2} = \frac{m}{\frac{4}{3}M+m} \cdot \frac{v}{l} [/tex]

Whereas conservation of energy says [tex] \frac{m v^2}{2} = \frac{\omega^2 I_{\Sigma}}{2} [/tex], which gives [tex] \omega = \sqrt{\frac{m}{I_{\Sigma}}} v = \sqrt{\frac{m}{\frac{4}{3}M + m}}\cdot \frac{v}{l} [/tex]

So the big question is where did I mess up this time. I know it's something really basic because I can't see it. Usually i ask a deskmate or someone to have a look if they spot something really simple but since nobody's around I had to come here.

P.S. while you're at it, why do my [tex] m [/tex], [tex] v [/tex] and [tex] \omega[/tex] look superscripted but [tex] M [/tex] and [tex] 2 l [/tex] don't ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your only mistake is in thinking that mechanical energy is conserved--it's not. This is an example of a perfectly inelastic collision.

To use Latex in the middle of a line of text and have it appear even, use "itex" as your delimiter, not "tex". It gives you [itex]m[/itex] instead of [tex]m[/tex].

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    so the angular momentum one is correct ? (just clarifying...)

and the loss in energy is the good ol' [tex] \int F ds[/tex] over the distance the bullet travels into the rod !

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Good luck calculating that! To find the loss in energy, just calculate the final KE and compare it to the initial.

6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    o no wasn't going to do that, good luck indeed
    just realising where the energy went.
    case closed anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?