Angular momentum with a large wooden turntable

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of kinetic energy and the impact of non-conservative forces on its value. The equations Li = Lf and L = I*omega are mentioned, as well as the formula for kinetic energy, K = (1/2)*(I)*(omega)^2. The author shares their attempt at solving a problem involving these concepts but is unsure of where they went wrong. Another participant in the conversation corrects them and provides an example to explain the concept further. The collision between a parachutist and a rotating disk is then discussed as an example to illustrate the concept of kinetic energy.
MITPhysics

Homework Statement

OQzBjfH.png

Homework Equations

Li = Lf
L = I*omega
K = (1/2)*(I)*(omega)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

dXqQxEV.jpg

[/B]
Given that there are no non-conservative forces in action, I am assuming that the two kinetic energies should be equal. However, as shown by my work above, the two values are different, and I do not know where I went wrong.

Attachments

• OQzBjfH.png
    OQzBjfH.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 744
  • dXqQxEV.jpg
    dXqQxEV.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 759
Physics news on Phys.org
MITPhysics said:
Given that there are no non-conservative forces in action, I am assuming that the two kinetic energies should be equal.
This is not correct. Compare with the case of a clump of clay with some velovity hitting another stationaty piece of clay and sticking together. Is the kinetic energy the same before and after?

How would you describe the collision between the parachutist and the rotating disk?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How does a large wooden turntable affect angular momentum?

A large wooden turntable can increase the moment of inertia of an object placed on it, which in turn increases its angular momentum.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of an object on a large wooden turntable?

The angular velocity and the moment of inertia of the object are the main factors that affect the angular momentum. The friction between the object and the turntable can also play a role.

4. How is angular momentum conserved on a large wooden turntable?

Angular momentum is conserved on a large wooden turntable because the turntable itself does not exert any external torque on the object, so the angular momentum of the object remains constant.

5. Can angular momentum be transferred from the turntable to the object?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred from the turntable to the object if there is a change in the angular velocity or moment of inertia of the object. This can happen through external forces such as friction or when the object is lifted off the turntable.