1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lx is measured to be h, what is the most likely outcome of the next measurement of Lz

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I built the matrix Lx with |lm> basis where |lm> is a eigenfunction of Lz, for l =1.

Not being not sure where to go from there I went for a more direct method of taking the projection < lz, mz | lx=1, mx=1> and solving it, and the one with the largest magnitude would win. But the only way I could figure that would be to expand < lz, mz | lx=1, mx=1> into < lz, mz | n >< n l lx=1, mx=1>, where n is the directional eigenket, which I believe gives two spherical harmonics where later has to be rotated from x to z.

To sum up I feel pretty insecure about all this and hope there's a better way.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    Ok I figured it out. Solving for the eigenvalues/eigenstates for Lx in a |lm> basis was all I had to do. I wonder how it would compare to that other method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?