1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle of mass m and a particle of mass 2m. They are connected by a horizontal, massless, rigid rod of length 2a. The rod is fixed to a vertical stick that connects to the rod's midpoint. The stick is spinning with constant angular speed.

Consider a point P, located on the stick a distance d below the rod. Show that angular momentum of the two particle system, when taken about point P, is not conserved.

2. Relevant equations

L = r X p

theta = 90 degrees

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I've done is find angular momentum for either mass, separately.
    Doing the following:

L_1 = R x P
    = |r||p| sin(theta)
    = (a^2+d^2)^(1/2)* ma(omega)

L_2 = R x P
    = |r||p| sin(theta)
    = (a^2+d^2)^(1/2)*2ma(omega)

What I want to do... by intuition... is just add these two together. but they're magnitudes not vectors... so i am a bit confused if I can.

If not, what the heck do I do?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

angular momentum is a vector

Hi Kites! :smile:

Angular momentum is a vector (strictly, a pseudovector), not a scalar …

it's the cross-product of two vectors!! :smile:

The moment form of good ol' Newton's second law is Net Torque = rate of change of angular momentum … and both sides of the equation are (pseudo-)vectors. :biggrin:

Most exam questions on angular momentum are two-dimensional, so the angular momentums are all perpendicular to the plane of the exam paper, and you can just add them!

But this question is three-dimensional … so you must treat them like the vectors they really are. :smile:

(btw, applying Newton's second law, can you see why it's not conserved? :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?