Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    Hi,all

I found myself so hard to turly understand (spin)angular moment, like spin parallel, triplet state, z component of angular moment etc...always mixed them up and confuse myself.
    Anyone can help me with understanding these and clarify them would be really helpful.

Q1: Sz spin in z direction in the real space?

Q2:trplet sate has S=1, why one of them is of the form (1/root(2)) (|up down> + |down up>)? its probability or anythingelse? ( I though before, triplet states are parallel and singlet is antiparallel)

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    Q1: im not sure if i understand your question, but Sz means the spin in z-direction in real-space. but of course, it is up to the definition of z-axis in your system.

Q2: You can operate (S_1+S_2)^2 on the state you have to see if it gives an eigenvalue 1*(1+1). (This is actually a tricky quantum mechanics homework problem. People often forgot how to do it when they have taken the course too many years ago.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook