Angular Momentum Question: M_z from Landau-Lifgarbagez p21

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for angular momentum arising from Landau-Lifgarbagez p21. The first equation represents the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the time derivative of a space variable, which is the canonical momentum for that degree of freedom. The second equation comes from a change of variables from r,phi to x,y. The speaker recommends studying the Lagrangian in a mechanics book for a better understanding. The asker still has questions about the derivation of the canonical momentum and the process of changing variables to obtain the second equation.
Piano man
I've got a question about angular momentum arising from Landau-Lifgarbagez p21.

Firstly, I'm not sure where this equation comes from:

[tex]M_z=\sum_a \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}_a}[/tex]

and from that, how do you get

[tex]M_z=\sum_a m_a(x_a \dot{y}_a-y_a \dot{x}_a)[/tex]

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the time derivative of a space variable is the canonical momentum for that degree of freedom.
The second equation comes from a change of variables from r,phi to x,y.
You may want to study the Lagrangian in a good mechanics book.

Ok, I still don't really follow.
When you say 'canonical momentum', is that derived from somewhere or is it empirical?
And I've been trying to change the variables to get the second equation, but I'm not getting anywhere. How does it work?
Thanks for your help.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

3. What is M_z in Landau-Lifgarbagez p21?

M_z is the z-component of angular momentum. It represents the amount of angular momentum an object has in the z-direction.

4. What is Landau-Lifgarbagez p21?

Landau-Lifgarbagez p21 is a notation used in physics to represent specific equations or concepts related to angular momentum. It is named after physicists Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz.

5. How is Angular Momentum related to conservation laws?

Angular momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.