Angular Momentum of 1.80-kg Particle in xy Plane

In summary, the problem involves determining the angular momentum of a 1.80-kg particle moving at a velocity of (4.30i - 3.70j) m/s in the xy plane, when its position vector is (1.50i + 2.20j) m. The calculated angular momentum is -27.018 kg m^2 / s, which is incorrect according to the known method. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula L = r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the momentum. However, some formatting issues may have affected the final result.
AEfly

Homework Statement

A 1.80-kg particle moves in the xy plane with a velocity of = (4.30i − 3.70j ) m/s. Determine the angular momentum of the particle about the origin when its position vector is = (1.50i + 2.20j ) m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get an answer of -29.016 Kg m2 per second using a known method but it comes out as incorrect. An ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
what did you try? I get about -27 when I work it out.

The angular momentum is

[tex] \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} [/tex]

where p is the momentum

we have

[tex] \vec{r} = (1.50 \hat{i} + 2.20 \hat{j} + 0 \hat{k} ) \textnormal{m} [/tex]

and

[tex] \vec{p} = m ( \vec{v} ) = m ( 4.30 \hat{i} - 3.70 \hat{j} + 0 \hat{k} ) \textnormal{ m / s } [/tex]

then

[tex] \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = (1.50 \hat{i} + 2.20 \hat{j} + 0 \hat{k} ) \textnormal{m} \times m ( 4.30 \hat{i} - 3.70 \hat{j} + 0 \hat{k} ) \textnormal{ m / s } [/tex]

This is

[tex] \vec{L} = - 27.018 \hat{k} \textnormal{ kg m^2 / s } [/tex]

AlexChandler said:
This is

[tex] \vec{L} = - 27.018 \hat{k} \textnormal{ kg m^2 / s } [/tex]

Ignore everything after kg m^2 / s ... I don't know what this has happened... I tried to fix it. Why is this happening? I am new to latex by the way :D

that's wild. i have never seen that, it is like the latex abyss.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of a particle around a fixed point or axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the mass (m) of the particle by its velocity (v) and the distance (r) from the axis of rotation: L = mvr. The direction of the angular momentum is perpendicular to both the velocity and the distance vectors.

What is the unit of angular momentum?

The unit of angular momentum is kilogram-meter squared per second (kg·m2/s). This can also be written as joule-second (J·s) in terms of the SI units for mass, length, and time.

What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in the type of motion they describe. Linear momentum is a measure of an object's straight-line motion, while angular momentum is a measure of its rotational motion.

How does the particle's mass and velocity affect its angular momentum?

An increase in the particle's mass or velocity will result in a proportional increase in its angular momentum. This relationship is described by the equation L = mvr, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.