Is angular momentum something that is characteristic for a particle?

In summary, angular momentum in quantum mechanics is defined relative to a point in space and can change over time. Spin and orbital angular momentum are treated equally when adding angular momenta, with the total angular momentum being uniquely defined for a system. Conservation of total angular momentum is always present, but spin may not always be conserved. When checking for the possibility of a reaction, the total angular momentum of the initial and final states should be compared, including both spin and orbital angular momentum. In cases where the spatial angular momentum is not 0, the spin and orbital angular momenta are added using the equation J = S + L. The best way to fully understand these concepts is to take a course in quantum mechanics.
Oww2
Hi,

I've got some questions about angular momentum. I hope they aren't too stupid, but I can't see the wood for the trees.

Is angular momentum something that is characteristic for a particle? I know that spin is characteristic (for example, the spin of a pi- is always 0) if I'm correct, but is the spin of the combination pi+pi- always 0?

And if I want to know the angular momentum of the combination of particles 123, can I group them the way I want? If I know the angular momentum of the combination 12, can I group those two particles and determine the angular momentum of (12)3? Is that the same as the angular momentum of 1(23)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
>Is angular momentum something that is characteristic for a particle?
Certainly not. First of all, just as in classical physics, a.m. is always defined relative to a point in space. r cross p depends on what the origin of r is! And the angular momentum of a particle about this point can certainly change as time goes on, just as it does in classical physics. (Example: An electron is in orbit around a nucleus, then is excited to become a free particle) All the conservation laws from classical physics apply also in quantum physics, just remember that angular momentum is quantized.

>I know that spin is characteristic (for example, the spin of a pi- is always 0) if I'm correct, but is the spin of the combination pi+pi- always 0?
No, for example they could be spinning around their common center of mass.

>And if I want to know the angular momentum of the combination of particles 123, can I group them the way I want? If I know the angular momentum of the combination 12, can I group those two particles and determine the angular momentum of (12)3? Is that the same as the angular momentum of 1(23)?
Yes. The total angular momentum of a system is uniquely defined and does not depend on how you calculate it.

Thanks! :)

I forgot to ask something:

There is always conservation of total angular momentum, but spin doesn't have to be conserved, is that correct? And if there's a reaction: a + b -> c + d, and I want to check if the reaction is possible, one of the things I have to do is determine the total angular momentum of a + b and c + d and see if it's the same? If the spatial angular momentum is 0 at both sides of the reaction, then you just have to add the spins of a + b and c + d and see if they overlap (for example: spin of a + b = 0,1, spin of c + d = 0, then the reaction is possible because the spins both can be 0?)? But how do you add them when the spatial angular momentum isn't 0?

I know this are a lot of questions, I'd be very thankful if someone answered them :)

Of course, you'll have all these questions answered when you enter an undergraduate course on quantum mechanics. Including lots of problem solving, that's the proper way to learn this!
But OK, here goes. :)

The answer to your question is that spin and orbital angular momentum are treated on an equal footing when adding angular momenta. For the observables and operators,
J = S + L
(S is spin, L is orbital a.m., and J is total a.m.)
and for the quantum numbers you thus may obtain one of the cases
|s-l| <= j <= s+l

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes rotational motion, while linear momentum is a vector quantity that describes translational motion.

3. Is angular momentum conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

4. Can all particles have angular momentum?

No, angular momentum is a characteristic that is specific to particles that are in a state of rotation or orbit. Particles that only have linear motion do not have angular momentum.

5. How is angular momentum measured?

Angular momentum is typically measured in units of kilogram-meter squared per second (kg•m^2/s) in the SI system. It can also be measured in other units such as joule-seconds (J•s) or newton-meters per second (N•m/s).