Calc Angular Momentum: Hour & Minute Hand of a Clock

In summary, angular momentum is a property that describes the rotational motion of a rotating object and is calculated using the formula L = Iω. The angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock remains constant unless there is an external torque acting on it. Factors that affect the angular momentum include mass, length, and speed of rotation, as well as external factors like air resistance. Calculating the angular momentum of the clock hands is important for understanding rotational motion and making predictions for mechanical systems.
UrbanXrisis
The hour and minute hand of a clock are 2.7m and 4.5m long and have masses of 60kg and 100kg, respectively. I need to calculate the angular momentum of both the hour hand and the minute hand. My work is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip002.jpg

is my work correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope,you need to use the correct form of the moment of inertia...

Daniel.

Yes, your work appears to be correct. To calculate the angular momentum of an object, you need to know its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and angular displacement. In this case, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. The angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time it takes for one full rotation (in seconds). Using these values, you correctly calculated the angular momentum of both the hour and minute hand.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes the amount of rotational motion it possesses. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock?

The angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock can be calculated by using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia for a thin rod is given by I = (1/3)ML^2, where M is the mass of the rod and L is its length. The angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the angle swept by the hands in a given time by the time taken.

3. Does the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock change?

No, the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it. This is because the moment of inertia and angular velocity do not change for a given clock.

4. What factors affect the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock?

The factors that affect the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock include the mass and length of the hands, as well as the speed at which they rotate. Other external factors such as air resistance or friction may also have an impact.

5. Why is calculating the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock important?

Calculating the angular momentum of the hour and minute hand of a clock is important in understanding the principles of rotational motion and how they apply to everyday objects. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of rotating objects and can be useful in designing and optimizing mechanical systems.