Angular Momentum: Is Conservation Dependent on Net Torque?

In summary, the conservation of angular momentum is dependent on the presence of net torque on an object or system of particles. When there is no net torque, the angular momentum is conserved. However, if there is net torque present, the angular momentum will not be conserved. This is similar to the conservation of linear momentum, where no net force results in the conservation of total linear momentum. It is important to clarify the system being considered and whether the torque is coming from external or internal sources in order to accurately apply the conservation law.
UrbanXrisis
My book says that "Where there is no net torque on an object or system of particles, angular momentum is conserved."

Does this mean that when next torque does not equal zero, the angular momentum is not conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it goes both ways. The angular momentum will not change if and only if there is no torque on the system.
It's the same as for linear momentum. If there is no net force acting on the system, the total linear momentum is conserved and vice versa.
It can be easily seen from the equations:

[tex]\vec F = \frac{d}{dt}\vec P, \qquad \vec N = \frac{d}{dt}\vec L[/tex]

If the left sides are not zero, the momenta are changing.

I`m talking here about the NET force, NET torque and TOTAL momenta. For a double star for example, the individual momenta of the stars are not conserved, but the total is.

EDIT: Just for clarity, the phrase:
"Where there is no net torque on an object or system of particles, angular momentum is conserved.",
does NOT mean the same as:
"If the torque is not zero, angular momentum is not conserved." It's a different statement that happens to be true.

Last edited:
Galileo said:
EDIT: Just for clarity, the phrase:
"Where there is no net torque on an object or system of particles, angular momentum is conserved.",
does NOT mean the same as:
"If the torque is not zero, angular momentum is not conserved." It's a different statement that happens to be true.

I don't really understand this...can you explain what you mean? Both results seem to follow directly from the equations, and I don't see how one could be true if the other weren't i.e. one is a restatement of the other in the same sense that some people argue that, given what we know now, Newton's first law is somewhat redundant in light of the second law...right?

cepheid said:
I don't really understand this...can you explain what you mean? Both results seem to follow directly from the equations, and I don't see how one could be true if the other weren't i.e. one is a restatement of the other in the same sense that some people argue that, given what we know now, Newton's first law is somewhat redundant in light of the second law...right?
I mean logically:

[tex]A \Rightarrow B[/tex]
is not the same as
[tex]\neg A \Rightarrow \neg B[/tex]
where [itex]\neg[/itex] denotes negation.

So: "No net torque => Angular momentum conserved"
is not the same as:
"Net torque => Angular momentum not conserved."

But yes, they both follow from the equations.

UrbanXrisis said:
My book says that "Where there is no net torque on an object or system of particles, angular momentum is conserved."

Does this mean that when next torque does not equal zero, the angular momentum is not conserved?
The 2 key questions for Angular Momentum Conservation are these: 1) What is the specific SYSTEM being considered?; and 2) Is the given torque from EXTERNAL sources (derived from elements not in the system) or from INTERNAL sources (derived from elements contained within the system). Definition of the SYSTEM being considered is prerequisite to applying Conservation of Angular Momentum. Conservation of Angular Momentum can be stated with the following:
Total Angular Momentum of a SYSTEM is conserved if that SYSTEM experiences only INTERNAL torques (derived from elements completely within the system) and has NO EXTERNAL torques (derived from elements outside the system) applied to it.
(If there are UNbalanced EXTERNAL torques applied to the system, Angular Momentum will not be conserved.)

~~

Last edited:
Galileo said:
I mean logically:

is not the same as
[tex]\neg A \Rightarrow \neg B[/tex]
where [itex]\neg[/itex] denotes negation.

So: "No net torque => Angular momentum conserved"
is not the same as:
"Net torque => Angular momentum not conserved."

But yes, they both follow from the equations.

Yes I see you what you are saying, thanks. The fact that both are true is due to the physics. (the equations). Neither statement on its own (out of this context) implies that the other must be true based purely on logic. Makes sense now...

Last edited:
Correct. Now, on the other hand

certainly implies

[tex] \neg B \Rightarrow \neg A[/tex]

and visa-versa~

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of an object.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on an object. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless there is a net torque acting on it.

3. Is conservation of angular momentum dependent on net torque?

Yes, conservation of angular momentum is dependent on net torque. If there is no net torque acting on an object, its angular momentum will remain constant. However, if there is a net torque, angular momentum can change.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred from one object to another?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred from one object to another. This usually occurs through collisions or interactions between objects. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to torque. This means that as torque increases, so does angular momentum. Additionally, the direction of the angular momentum vector is the same as the direction of the torque vector.