Angular Momentum: Solving Homework Confusion

In summary, angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion and is calculated as the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. It is related to Newton's laws of motion through the law of conservation of angular momentum and has units of kg*m^2/s. To solve homework problems involving angular momentum, you can use the formula L = Iω and apply the law of conservation of angular momentum, making sure to correctly identify the moment of inertia and understand the concept of angular velocity.
Litcyb

Homework Statement

I am just confused about Angular momentum.

Homework Equations

KE(rotational)= 1/2Iw^2
Angular momentum= Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

Why can I do the change in KE rotational to calculate the her final angular velocity in 3 revs?
very confused! :( both equations relate to moment of inertia and angular velocity.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Angular.PNG
    Angular.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Only angular momentum is conserved here. That's all you need.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. The units of angular momentum are kg*m^2/s.

3. How is angular momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Angular momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion through the law of conservation of angular momentum. This law states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque.

4. What are the units of angular momentum?

The units of angular momentum are kg*m^2/s.

5. How can I use angular momentum to solve homework problems?

To solve homework problems involving angular momentum, you can use the formula L = Iω and apply the law of conservation of angular momentum. It is important to correctly identify the moment of inertia and understand the concept of angular velocity in order to solve these problems accurately.