Angular Momentum: Uniform Cylinder Drum Rotation

In summary, the block is pulled up 4*0.5 m when it is jerked into motion, and its new moment of inertia is 1.4625 w.
devious_
A uniform solid cylindrical drum of mass 1.5kg and radius 0.5m is free to rotate about a fixed, smooth, horizontal axis which coincides with the axis of the cylinder. The axis is at a height of 2m above a horizontal table, and a light string of AB of length 4m has one end attached to the heighest point of the cylinder. A block of mass 0.3kg is attached to end B of the string and rests on the table. The drum begins to rotate at a constant angular speed of 4 rad s-1 in a clockwise direction. Calculate the angular speed of the drum immediately after the block is jerked into motion.

I have no idea how to approach this question! The answer is supposed to be 2.86 rad s-1.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Attachments

• pic.PNG
    pic.PNG
    646 bytes · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking at this and the only thing i can think of is to find the angular acceleration of the drum due to the block pulling it down.

I think the way I'm supposed to approach this question is by equating the sums of initial and final angular momentum for both the drum and the block. I can do the drum just fine, but all my attemps of finding the angular momentum of the block didn't produce the required answer.

Here's what I get for the drum:
initial angular momentum = moment of inertia * angular speed = 3/16 * 4 = 0.75 Nms
final angular momentum = 3/16 w, where w is the new angular speed

Ohhh right. Ofcourse.

The final moment of inertia has changed, because its now pulling the block. You can simplify the block as a point mass at point A, and find the new MOI.

I tried that:
final angular momentum = [3/16 + 0.3*(2^2 + 0.5^2)] w = 1.4625w
conservation of angular momentum => w = 0.75/1.4625 = 20/39

Which isn't the right answer. :frown: Am I doing something wrong?

final angular momentum = [3/16 + 0.3*(2^2 + 0.5^2)] w = 1.4625w

Your radius isn't right. How far is the point A from the axis of rotation?

If I take it to be at point A then I get the right answer! But.. Why should it be at point A?

I thought about it a bit and this is what I concluded:
Initial jerk turns the drum 4 rad, and so the block is pulled up 4*0.5 m, because A turns an arc length [itex]r \theta[/itex]. So the block adheres to the circumference of the circle and can be considered as a point mass 0.5m away from the axis of rotation.

Is this correct?

Exactly, the block is 'pulling' or resisting motion AT the radius 0.5m, thus you can treat it as a particle in motion at the edge of the drum. Good thinking.

Thanks for the help -- and good night!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, which is defined as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to uniform cylinder drum rotation?

In uniform cylinder drum rotation, the angular momentum is constant, meaning that it does not change over time. This is because the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the cylinder remain constant during rotation.

3. What factors affect angular momentum in uniform cylinder drum rotation?

The main factors that affect angular momentum in uniform cylinder drum rotation are the mass distribution of the cylinder, its moment of inertia, and its angular velocity.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in uniform cylinder drum rotation?

In uniform cylinder drum rotation, angular momentum is conserved due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum in physics?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in many physical systems, such as planetary orbits, the motion of rotating bodies, and the stability of spinning objects. It is also a fundamental concept in the conservation laws of physics.