Angular Momentum: Calculating Change in Moment of Inertia

• Thread starter jrd007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the person's rotational inertia increases as he raises his arms, causing a decrease in the speed of rotation. The factor by which the moment of inertia has changed is 1.6. This is found by using the conservation of angular momentum equation, where the initial and final angular momentums are set equal to each other and the ratio of the initial and final moment of inertia and angular velocity are solved for. This results in a factor of 1.6, although there may be a discrepancy due to rounding.
jrd007
Problem: A person stands, hands at his side, on a platform that is rotating at a rate of 1.30 rev/s. If he raises his arms to a horizontial position the speed of rotation decreases to 0.80 rev/s. (a) Why? (b)By what factor has the moment of inertia changed? Answer: (b) 1.6

Okay, so I know part a which is because his rotational inertia increases.

Someone please help explain where 1.6 is even coming from... I have yet to get a soild answer. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{L} = I \vec{\omega}[/tex]
L, angular momentum, is conserved. Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
But how do I find I ? I know w is 1.30 - 0.80...

You don't.
You have Ii and If = kIi (where k is a factor by which Ii must be multiplied to get If)

I's should cancel out.

You do realize what conservation of linear momentum imples...

[tex]\vec{L}_{initial} = \vec{L}_{final}[/tex]

I am going to have to ask my instructor. I have no idea where the 1.6 is coming from. sorry.

Like I mentioned the previous time you brought this question up, the factor I get is 1.4. I think there is an error in the answer you were given.

EDIT: After looking at sig figs, I ended up with the factor of 1.6.

Since you're not grasping the conservation idea, how about this:

[tex]{L}_1 = I_1 {\omega_1}[/tex] and [tex]{L}_2 = I_2 {\omega_2}[/tex]

Now Since [tex]{L}_1 = {L}_2[/tex] then you can set the rest equal [tex] I_1 \omega_1 = I_2 \omega_2[/tex]

To get the ratio you are looking for solve that for [tex]\frac{I_2}{I_1}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (I) by its angular velocity (ω). The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

4. How do you calculate change in moment of inertia?

The change in moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula ΔI = If - Ii, where If is the final moment of inertia and Ii is the initial moment of inertia. This change can occur when the mass or distribution of an object's mass changes, or when the axis of rotation changes.

5. Why is calculating change in moment of inertia important?

Calculating change in moment of inertia is important because it allows us to understand and predict the effects of changes in an object's rotational motion. It is also a key concept in understanding the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.