How Do You Convert Angular Distance from Radians to Linear Distance?

In summary, a wheel starts from rest and accelerates uniformly with an angular acceleration of 4rad/〖sec〗^2. After 4 seconds, the wheel will have a angular velocity of 10rad/sec and the total distance traveled in that time will be 40rad.
Sparky500

Homework Statement

A wheel starts from rest and accelerates uniformly with an angular acceleration of 4rad/〖sec〗^2. What will be its angular velocity after 4 seconds and the total distance traveled in that time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have got my answer and the unit is rad, i know that rad can be converted into degrees or even revs, but what about units in lengths (m)? or is the unit rad correct in my answer

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You must know the radius of the weel.

thanks, so if i have not got the radius of the wheel is my answer of 40rad correct?

Sparky500 said:
thanks, so if i have not got the radius of the wheel is my answer of 40rad correct?

How did you get 40rad ?

this is how i calculated the above:

ω=0+4 rad/〖sec〗^2 x 4sec

ω=0+16 rad/sec

ω=16 rad/sec

θ=1/2 (w_1+w_2 )t

=1/2 (20 rad/sec)t

=10 rad/sec x 4sec

=40rad

[tex] \omega = \omega _{0} + \alpha t [/tex]

[tex]\theta = \theta _{0} + \omega _{0} t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^{2} [/tex]

Now if alpha is constant 4
and time t is 4, what do we get?

ω=16 rad/sec (as shown in my answer)

the 40rad is my total distance (does this need to be converted)?

yes but the total angle covered is 32 rad

theta = 0 + 0 + 0.5 * 4 * 4^2

can you expain that a bit more as i don't know what you mean (sorry) so 40 rad is not the distance?

[tex]\theta = \theta _{0} + \omega _{0} t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^{2} [/tex]

This is the formula, right?

The given values is alpha = 4 and time = 4. The initial angular veolcity is 0(starts from rest) and the theta_zero is also 0...

[tex]\omega = \omega_{1} + \alpha t [/tex]

this is the formula given in class (if it can be read)

yes that gives you the new angular velocity, but you was also asking of the "lenght" covered by the weel in that time (4s)...

The total "lenght", is given by the forumula i gave you in post #10, where omega_zero is the initial angular velocity (of course). Now what is the anser for theta?

i have now worked out that angular velocity = 16rad/sec

using [tex] \theta = {1/2} (\omega_{1} + omega_{2}) [/tex]

i calculated the distance to be 32rad

please confirm.

yes that it correct, see my post #8 otherwise...

thanks you have been a great help :)

What is angular motion?

Angular motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It involves the rotation of an object in a circular or curved path.

What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while angular motion involves the rotation of an object around a fixed point or axis.

How is angular motion measured?

Angular motion is measured in radians or degrees. Radians are the standard unit of measurement and are based on the circumference of a circle. Degrees are also commonly used, and one full rotation is equivalent to 360 degrees.

What factors affect angular motion?

The factors that affect angular motion include the force applied, the mass and distribution of the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation. Other factors may include friction, air resistance, and external forces.

How is angular motion used in real life?

Angular motion has many practical applications in everyday life, such as the rotation of wheels on a car, the movement of a pendulum, and the spinning of a top. It is also used in sports, such as in the rotation of a ball in sports like basketball or soccer.