1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular motion

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]
    Point P rotates around the center O at a constant rate.The magnitude of the velocity of point P relative to O is 3.7 m/s and the distance between the two points is 90 mm. What are the magnitudes of (a) normal and (b) tangential components of the acceleration of P relative to O?

2. Relevant equations
    an = v2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I was able to find the normal component of acceleration using the formula an = v2/r and got value of 152.11 m/s/s. But for tangential component, I'm confused, the point doesn't actually accelerate (it travels at a constant speed). So does that mean that at would equal to zero? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

I think you are right, the tangential acceleration of point P must be [tex]\frac{0m}{s^2}[/tex] otherwise it's SPEED (and not velocity as written) wouldn't be a constant with respect to point 0.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    Sweet, thanks!

This is for another question, but I don't want to open another topic. So I'm given equation of a path through which the particle travels y=0.2sin(pi*x) and it has a uniform speed in the x direction of 2 m/s. We're required to find velocity at x=0.25. So can I take the derivative of the path equation in order to find vertical velocity of the particle? And then combine the two (x&y direction) to find resultant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?