Understanding Angular Acceleration and Velocity in Pulley Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a string is wrapped around a pulley and a weight falls with a constant acceleration. The questions pertain to the angular acceleration and velocity of the pulley, as well as the use of equations to solve for these values. The individual is seeking help in understanding the correct equations and how to formulate them in order to find the answers. They mention that this is for a homework assignment and have found the equation for linear acceleration, but do not understand why the answer is the same for both questions.
mike.yeagley2
The question I am given is as follows:

A string is wrapped around a pulley of radius 3.25cm, and a weight hangs from the other end. The weight falls with a constant acceleration 3.10m/s^2.

1. What's the angular acceleration of the pulley?
2. If the weight starts from rest 1.55m above the floor, what's the pulley's angular velocity when the weight hits the floor?

My issue is with the equations I have available to me.

Equations: Angular Acceleration=Δω/Δt Angular Velocity=Δθ/Δt w=2pi/t and the equivalent translational versions for the weight in question 2.

I am looking to understand how to formulate the correct equations to get the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that homework?

Yes it is. I found the equation I needed for Part one with linear acceleration, and that makes sense. The answer was 95.4rad/s^2, but the answer was the same for the second question as well, and I don't fully understand that. I am looking to understand why it is the same answer.

1. What is the purpose of a pulley in angular physics?

A pulley is used in angular physics to change the direction of a force or to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. It can also be used to transfer energy from one object to another.

2. How does the radius of the pulley affect the angular velocity of the system?

The radius of the pulley is directly proportional to the angular velocity of the system. This means that as the radius increases, the angular velocity also increases and vice versa.

3. Can the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration of the system?

Yes, the angle of the pulley can affect the acceleration of the system. The greater the angle, the greater the acceleration, as more force is required to overcome the increased resistance.

4. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley in angular physics?

A fixed pulley does not move with the load, but a movable pulley does. This means that a movable pulley can change the direction of the force and also reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

5. How does friction affect the performance of a pulley in angular physics?

Friction can reduce the efficiency of a pulley, causing some of the energy to be lost in the form of heat. This can affect the overall performance of the system and may require more force to be applied to achieve the desired results.