1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular physics with a pulley

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    The question I am given is as follows:

A string is wrapped around a pulley of radius 3.25cm, and a weight hangs from the other end. The weight falls with a constant acceleration 3.10m/s^2.

1. What's the angular acceleration of the pulley?
    2. If the weight starts from rest 1.55m above the floor, what's the pulley's angular velocity when the weight hits the floor?

My issue is with the equations I have available to me.

Equations: Angular Acceleration=Δω/Δt Angular Velocity=Δθ/Δt w=2pi/t and the equivalent translational versions for the weight in question 2.

I am looking to understand how to formulate the correct equations to get the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2
    Is that homework?

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3
    Yes it is. I found the equation I needed for Part one with linear acceleration, and that makes sense. The answer was 95.4rad/s^2, but the answer was the same for the second question as well, and I don't fully understand that. I am looking to understand why it is the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted