Solving an Old Phonograph Problem: Finding Angular Velocity, Speed & Period

In summary, the old phonograph record is spinning at a frequency of 1.293 revolutions per second with an angular velocity of 8.124 radians per second. The speed of the record below the needle is 0.6012 meters per second and the period corresponding to one complete rotation is 0.7734 seconds. The easiest way to approach this problem is by finding the frequency and using the equations for angular velocity and speed.~~~
Jayhawk1
I was curious as to how to approach this problem... An old phonograph record is spinning at 77.6 rpm. The phonograph needle is stuck 7.4 cm from the spindle. a) What is the angular velocity of the record? b) What is the speed of the record below the needle? c) What is the period corresponding to one complete rotation of the record? I think the easiest way to approach it would be by finding the frequency but I am not quite sure how to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) 77.6 revolutions per minute. 77.6/60 revolutions per second. Sounds like an angular velocity to me.

b) You know the angular velocity. [tex] v_{linear} = r\omega [/tex]

c) 77.6 revolutions in one minute. How long does it take for one revolution?

Last edited:
Jayhawk1 said:
I was curious as to how to approach this problem... An old phonograph record is spinning at 77.6 rpm. The phonograph needle is stuck 7.4 cm from the spindle. a) What is the angular velocity of the record? b) What is the speed of the record below the needle? c) What is the period corresponding to one complete rotation of the record? I think the easiest way to approach it would be by finding the frequency but I am not quite sure how to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From the problem statement:
{Frequency of Rotation} = f = (77.6 rpm) =
= {(77.6)/60 rev/sec)
= (1.293 rev/sec)

Question a):
{Angular Velocity} = ω = 2*π*f =
= 2*π*(1.293 rev/sec) =
= (8.124 radians/sec)

Question b):
{Speed of Record below Needle} = v = ω*r =
= (8.124 radians/sec)*(7.4 cm) =
= (60.12 cm/sec) = (0.6012 m/sec)

Question c):
{Period} = T = 1/f =
= 1/(1.293 rev/sec) =
= (0.7734 sec)

~~

Last edited:

What is the old phonograph problem?

The old phonograph problem is a physics problem that involves finding the angular velocity, speed, and period of a rotating phonograph turntable.

Why is it important to solve this problem?

Solving this problem is important because it allows us to understand the mechanics of a rotating object and how its speed and period are related to its angular velocity. It also has practical applications in fields such as audio engineering and turntable design.

What is angular velocity and how is it related to speed and period?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second and is directly related to an object's speed and period. The faster an object rotates, the higher its angular velocity will be. Additionally, the period of an object is inversely proportional to its angular velocity, meaning that as the angular velocity increases, the period decreases.

How can the old phonograph problem be solved?

The old phonograph problem can be solved using basic equations from rotational motion, such as the equation for angular velocity (ω = Δθ/Δt), the equation for tangential speed (v = rω), and the equation for period (T = 2π/ω). These equations can be applied to the specific measurements and variables of the phonograph turntable to determine its angular velocity, speed, and period.

What are some real-world applications of solving the old phonograph problem?

Solving the old phonograph problem has practical applications in fields such as audio engineering, turntable design, and even astronomy. It can also help us understand the mechanics of other rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and turbines.