1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular rate of change

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I have an equation that describes L in terms of some constants and an angle.

e.g. L=C1*[tex]\sqrt{(C2-Sin[angle])}[/tex]+C1*[tex]\sqrt{(C2-Cos[angle])}[/tex]

Then, if I take the partial derivative of the above wrt angle, then I would get the unit change in L for a unit change in angle.

However, if I solve the partial derivative at a specific angle, will it give me units of length/degrees or units of length/radians?

The above equation is just an example of one case for the my question.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hard to say with without a context, but probably radians. If you say the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), then x is in radians. If your angle x is represented in degrees then the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x)*pi/180.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Trig functions (as opposed to values you would use to solve right triangle problems) don't necessairily have anything to do with angles. They are defined in such a way that if you are treating the variables as angles, they would have to be in radians.

I'm not sure why you are talking about "partial derivatives"- there are no partial derivatives. The only independent variable is "angle" so you only need an ordinary derivative.

5. Oct 31, 2007 #4
    Depends on how you integrate. If you are taking derivative of six=cosx, then x will be in radians, ie, you answer will be in lenght/rad. Oh and partial derivative, as HallsofIvy said, is not necessary, as only a single variable is involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?