1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular resolution

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Technological advances are now making it possible to link visible-light telescopes so that they can achieve the same angular resolution as a single telescope over 300 meters in size.

What is the angular resolution (diffraction limit) of such a system of telescopes for observations at a wavelength of 500 nanometers?

I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what the angular resolution formula is, I know there is one but I can't recall it..and when it says 500 nm it's 5.00*10^-9 m right? Been a while since I've dealt with waves.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Why struggle with recollection when you can "look it up"? Try your favorite search engine, wiki, etc.
    No, that would be 5nm. 1nm = 1*10-9 m.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    ^ Yeah sorry i meant -7 lol and I still can't figure it out, I need the diameter of the telescope or something... I think the formula is sin theta = 1.220 * wavelength/ diameter but I have no clue how to get the diameter?

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How big was the single telescope? Hint: when you talk about the size of a telescope, you are talking about the diameter of the mirror which collects the incoming light.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    300m?

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6
    nvm got it

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook