Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular Revolution

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Hey, I ran into a few things about angular quantites and am a little confused on finding the number of revolutions something such as a tire would make. Would the distance traveled divided by a circumference of a circle equal the number of revolutions? I was finding that there are equations that show an angular displacement divided by 2 pi, so if a radius is known is it useful or not? I couldn't decide whether to divide anything by a radius of Circumference or just 2 pi. Also, with angular displacement would it work to use just displacement in linear distances? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find the circumference, you times the radius by 2 pi.

Finding the distance a wheel covers is merely the circumference times by the number of revolutions. So a wheel with a radius of 30cm rotating 2.5 times will travel 471cm. Ok?

So the distance travelled by a wheel will equal the circumference * number of rotations.

You can relate angular displacement to linear displacement using trigenometry, are you familiar with this?

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    Thanks so much, that really helps!!! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook