1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Revolution

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Hey, I ran into a few things about angular quantites and am a little confused on finding the number of revolutions something such as a tire would make. Would the distance traveled divided by a circumference of a circle equal the number of revolutions? I was finding that there are equations that show an angular displacement divided by 2 pi, so if a radius is known is it useful or not? I couldn't decide whether to divide anything by a radius of Circumference or just 2 pi. Also, with angular displacement would it work to use just displacement in linear distances? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find the circumference, you times the radius by 2 pi.

Finding the distance a wheel covers is merely the circumference times by the number of revolutions. So a wheel with a radius of 30cm rotating 2.5 times will travel 471cm. Ok?

So the distance travelled by a wheel will equal the circumference * number of rotations.

You can relate angular displacement to linear displacement using trigenometry, are you familiar with this?

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    Thanks so much, that really helps!!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?