Understanding Angular Size: Tips for Determining Object Dimensions

• Thread starter Gillipsee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, determining the angular size of an object, such as an asteroid, can be done through various methods such as using a protractor and finder scope or taking a picture with a known scale. For asteroids, stellar occultation is a common method. The formula for calculating angular size is AngularSize = (Diameter / (\pi Distance)) * 180.
Gillipsee
How do you determine angular size from an object such as an asteroid? I tried searching the web but there were no real answers out there.
Help Anyone?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gillipsee said:
How do you determine angular size from an object such as an asteroid? I tried searching the web but there were no real answers out there.
Help Anyone?
Welcome to Physics Forums Gillipsee!

I'm not sure that I understand your question. It's very easy to measure an angle, and so measuring the 'angular size' of an object in the sky is also easy.

For example, you could bolt a small finder scope (such as the guide scope on an amateur telescope, or the 'telescopic sight' of a rifle) onto a large protractor. You note the angle when the cross-hairs are on one side of the object, and note it when they are on the other side; the difference is the 'angular size' of the object.

A common way to measure small angles, such as a minute of arc or smaller, is to take a picture. The linear scale on the picture can then be translated into an angular size, by using the scale of the image (you get this by taking a picture of an object of known angular size, or by analysing the optics of your camera).

For asteroids, it's a little trickier. For starters, no asteroid has an angular size greater than the best 'seeing' (the size of the blur that is what you see when you look at a star, or other point source, through a telescope) - except when it's a large asteroid about to hit the Earth! However, with adaptive optics, ground-based telescopes can take images of asteroids that have better resolution than 'seeing', so some asteroids' angular sizes can be measured from images.

However, the most common method is stellar occultation - the asteroid passes between us and a distant star, and we see a drop in the brightness of the star. By measuring how long the occultation takes, knowing where you are, and having a good orbit for the asteroid, you can work out the actual size of the asteroid (and then calculating its angular size is a piece of cake). Of course, it's best to have occultation observations from several different locations, across the occultation track, to determine the 'shape' of the asteroid!

Gillipsee said:
Help Anyone?
[tex]AngularSize = (Diameter / (\pi Distance)) * 180[/tex]

1. How do I determine the angular size of an object?

To determine the angular size of an object, you will need to measure the object's apparent diameter and its distance from your observation point. Then, use the formula: angular size = 2 x arctan (object's apparent diameter / object's distance). The result will be in radians, so you may need to convert it to degrees for easier understanding.

2. Is it important to consider the object's distance when determining its dimensions?

Yes, it is crucial to consider the object's distance when determining its dimensions. The farther the object is from your observation point, the smaller its angular size will appear. This is because the object's apparent diameter decreases as the distance increases.

3. What is the difference between angular size and actual size?

Angular size refers to the size of an object as it appears from a certain observation point, taking into account the object's distance. Actual size, on the other hand, refers to the physical size of the object itself. Angular size is measured in angles, while actual size is measured in units of length, such as meters or inches.

4. Can I use the same method to determine the angular size of all objects?

Yes, the same method can be used to determine the angular size of all objects. However, keep in mind that the formula may vary depending on the shape of the object. For example, for a circular object, the formula mentioned in the first question can be used, while for a rectangular object, you may need to use a different formula.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with determining angular size?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist in determining angular size. These include angle-measuring devices, such as protractors and clinometers, as well as astronomy software that can calculate angular size based on the object's coordinates and distance. However, it is always beneficial to understand the formula and process for determining angular size manually.