1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Speed and Energy

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    A 3.0-m-diameter merry-go-round with rotational inertia 120 kg*m2 is spinning freely at 0.60 rev/s. Four 25-kg children sit suddenly on the edge of the merry-go-round. (a) Find the new angular speed in rev/s. (b) Determine the total energy lost to friction between the children and the merry-go-round in J.

Okay so I know that Li[tex]\omega[/tex]i=Lf[tex]\omega[/tex]f. That means that (120 kg*m^2)(0.60 rev/s)=(mass of merry-go-round + 4(25kg))(1.52)[tex]\omega[/tex]f.

To find the mass of the merry-go-round I took the Inertia and divided it by R2 to get m = (120 kg*m2)/(1.52) = 53.3.

When I plugged it into the equation I found the new angular speed to be .21 rev/s.

My problem is with part (b)...

So I know that J is (kg*m2)/s2, but I am unsure as to how to solve for it...A little help, please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    Find the angular velocity before the children get on, then find rotational energy use (1/2)I(omega^2).

Then find the angular velocity after the children get on. Take initial rotational energy - final rotational energy. The energy loss went to friction.
  4. Nov 14, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While you got the correct answer for (a), you did make two errors in the process ... which fortunately cancelled out.

First, let's clear up those equations:

Li = Lf
    Imerryωi = (Imerry+Ichildrenf

It's not necessary to find the mass of the merry-go-round, you can just use the Imerry value here to find ωf.

Actually, this is 0.5*m, since I = 0.5 m R^2. But that's okay, since 0.5*m is what should have been used in your earlier expression,
    (mass of merry-go-round + 4(25kg))

So the answer is 0.21 rev/s as you got.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?