1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular speed around a bar/clay system's center of mass after impact

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.740 kg strikes a bar of mass 1.740 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.140 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. If the bar is 0.660 m long and the clay is moving at 9.600 m/s before the impact, what is the final speed of the center of mass?

I have solved this part. The next part is the one I'm stuck on.

At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact in radians/second?

I have tried conservation of energy 1/2m1v1 = 1/2m2v2 + 1/2 Iw^2 but my answer is wrong.

Final equation. w = (m1v1-m2v2)/(1/2ML^2)

Could someone tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    Might just be a typo, for energy, I believe its [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex] But you might already have that, think you are on the right track with both angular energy and translational though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?