1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Speed of a drive train

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    1. The figure below shows the drive train of a bicycle that has wheels 67.3 cm in diameter and pedal cranks 17.5 cm long. The cyclist pedals at a steady angular rate of 76.5 rev/min. The chain engages with a front sprocket 15.2 cm in diameter and a rear sprocket 7.25 cm in diameter.

2. v = r*w

3. First I tried to find the velocity of the rear sprocket.

radius of rear sprocket is 0.0363 m
    angular speed of pedaling is 8.01 rad/s

v = 0.0363 * 8.01
    v = .291 m/s

radius of wheels is 0.337 m

So I used the velocity of the rear sprocket to calculate the angular speed of the wheel

w = .291/.337
    w = .864 rad/s

I am using WebAssign, and when I entered this answer, it said my answer differed by orders of magnitude. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I only have one more shot at getting the answer right. Thanks

Kevin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Can you post the figure?

4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]

there u go

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But you used the angular speed of the front sprocket, not the rear sprocket.

Hint: Since they are connected by a chain, the tangential velocity (v, not angular speed) of each sprocket is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?