Angular Speed of Bullet: How to Calculate Rotational and Angular Speed?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rotational and angular speed of a bullet inside a gun. The bullet has a diameter of 0.5 inches and a speed of 400 foot/sec. It makes 1 complete rotation in the gun for every 120 mm it travels, and the length of the gun is 1.5 meters. The formula for rotational speed is R=2pi.n, where n is the number of rotations. The formula for angular speed is w=v/r. There is some confusion about the diameter and how it relates to angular velocity. It is determined that the bullet makes 12.5 revolutions inside the gun and the question is posed about how many revolutions per second and radians per second that is.
hitman38
Hey guys,
I confused about something,please help me.

I have a bullet and its diameter is 0.5 inches. its speed is 400 foot /sec.
It makes one complete rotation in the gun 120 mm per turn and length of the gun is 1.5 meter.
How can I calculate the rotational and angular speed?

-I used a formula for rotational speed;
R=2pi.n n=(number of the rotation) which is 1.5 meter/1.2 mm.

- Angular speed;
w=v/r w=400 ftsec/0.5inch

Are my formulas and calculations correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

wow 1.5 meter is quite a long gun haha. anyway if i am correct 120mm is the distance the bullet travel in one round correct? i would find out how many turns it need to make before it exits the barrel and use the speed that it is traveling. As for the diameter i have no idea what it is for

Yes u correct 120 mm is the distance the bullet travel in one correct.
I guess the amount of the turn is 1500/120=12.5
Given diameter may be for the angular velocity; w=v/r
But I am not sure about if i can use this diameter for angular velocity.

You are correct. The bullet does 12.5 revolutions inside the gun.

How many revolutions per second is that? Hint: you need to find how many seconds the bullet spends in the gun.
How many radians per second is that? That is your ω, the angular speed.

What is the angular speed of a bullet?

The angular speed of a bullet refers to the rate at which the bullet rotates while it is in motion. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How is the angular speed of a bullet calculated?

The angular speed of a bullet can be calculated by dividing the linear speed of the bullet by the radius of the bullet's rotation. In other words, it is the linear speed of the bullet divided by the distance from the center of rotation to the bullet's path.

Does the angular speed of a bullet affect its accuracy?

Yes, the angular speed of a bullet can significantly affect its accuracy. Higher angular speeds can cause the bullet to spin and deviate from its intended trajectory, leading to a less accurate shot.

What factors can impact the angular speed of a bullet?

The angular speed of a bullet can be affected by factors such as the shape and weight distribution of the bullet, the rifling of the barrel, and the velocity and trajectory of the bullet as it leaves the barrel.

How can the angular speed of a bullet be increased?

The angular speed of a bullet can be increased by using a shorter barrel, increasing the bullet's velocity, and using a bullet with a higher weight or different shape that is more conducive to spinning. However, there is a limit to how much the angular speed can be increased before it starts to negatively impact accuracy.