Calculating Angular Speed of a Yo-Yo

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the angular speed and center speed of a yo-yo released at rest. The given radius and mass of the yo-yo, as well as the distance it descends, are provided. The formula K=1/2Mv^2+1/2IW^2 is used but yields a weird number. The correct answer is given, but the person asking the question is unsure of how to solve it. The discussion also mentions the use of gravitational potential energy and the correct formula for calculating the moment of inertia for a solid disk. However, it is not clear where the person went wrong in their calculation.
cecico
Hi~
This is the question i got
A yo-yo has radius 8.00cm and mass 0.180kg with small hoop.
The yo-yo is released at rest and after yo-yo
descended 75.0cm calculater the angular speed of the rotating yo-yo
and the speed of its center.
I tried to use K=1/2Mv^2+1/2IW^2 but i got weird number...
I have the answer but I need t know how to solve it...
Just in case the answer for angular speed is 33.9rad/s and
the speed of its center is 2.71m/s.
I'm seriously fall into the deep~~~~ocean.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget about gravitational potential energy...

The given answer is right. What did you do wrong? You aren't giving us near enough information to tell. What did you use for I?

I use MR^2 for I...

Wouldn't I be

[tex]
I = \frac{m r^2}{2}
[/tex]

which is the one for a solid disk? Or are we considering the fact that the yo-yo is made up of two disks?

MaGG said:
Wouldn't I be

[tex]
I = \frac{m r^2}{2}
[/tex]

which is the one for a solid disk? Or are we considering the fact that the yo-yo is made up of two disks?

The clue refers to a hoop, so I think the do want you to use mr^2. You get the correct answer that way. But we still don't know enough to tell where cecico went wrong.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. The formula for angular speed is ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular speed, θ is the angle of rotation in radians, and t is the time in seconds.

Why is the angular speed of a yo-yo important?

The angular speed of a yo-yo is important because it affects its rotational motion and the forces acting on it. It also determines how fast the yo-yo will spin, which can affect tricks and performance.

How does the mass of the yo-yo affect its angular speed?

The mass of the yo-yo does not directly affect its angular speed. However, a heavier yo-yo may require more force to rotate and therefore may have a slower angular speed compared to a lighter yo-yo.

Can the angular speed of a yo-yo change?

Yes, the angular speed of a yo-yo can change depending on the forces acting on it. For example, if the string tension decreases, the angular speed will decrease as well. Additionally, changing the mass or shape of the yo-yo can also affect its angular speed.