1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular speed question please help.

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As a result of friction, the angular speed of a wheel changes with time according to
    d θ/d t = ω_0 e^(−σ t) ,
    where ω0 and σ are constants.
    initial angular speed = 5.45 rad/s
    σ =.23913
    Determine the number of revolutions the wheel makes after 2.33 s .
    Answer in units of rev.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to take the integral which is:
    θ = - w_0/(σ *e^(-σ *t))
    My numbers are initial velocity= 5.45 rad/sec, sigma= .023913, and time=2.33 seconds. so when I solved I got -13.0589 radians and divided it by 2pi to get revolutions, which gave me -2.07839. I thought the answer would be 2.07839 because revolutions can't be negative but it is not right, should i use the negative or am i doing something wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jj! :smile:

I'm with you on this: the question is badly worded. :frown:

The wheel makes 2.07839 revolutions clockwise!

However, that's clearly not the answer they want - if this is a computer thing where you're only allowed to put in a number, then you must put in the number they want - this isn't a constitutional rights case!

But if you're allowed a full answer, write something like "-2.07839 revolutions in the direction of increasing θ (2.07839 revolutions in the direction of decreasing θ)" - with the answer they want first. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?