How Many Revolutions Does the Wheel Make in 2.33 Seconds?

In summary, the angular speed of a wheel changes with time due to friction and can be described by the equation dθ/dt = ω0e^(-σt). Given an initial angular speed of 5.45 rad/s and a value of σ = 0.23913, the number of revolutions the wheel makes after 2.33 s is -2.07839 revolutions in the direction of increasing θ (2.07839 revolutions in the direction of decreasing θ).
jj8890

Homework Statement

As a result of friction, the angular speed of a wheel changes with time according to
d θ/d t = ω_0 e^(−σ t) ,
where ω0 and σ are constants.
initial angular speed = 5.45 rad/s
σ =.23913
Determine the number of revolutions the wheel makes after 2.33 s .
Answer in units of rev.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to take the integral which is:
θ = - w_0/(σ *e^(-σ *t))
My numbers are initial velocity= 5.45 rad/sec, sigma= .023913, and time=2.33 seconds. so when I solved I got -13.0589 radians and divided it by 2pi to get revolutions, which gave me -2.07839. I thought the answer would be 2.07839 because revolutions can't be negative but it is not right, should i use the negative or am i doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jj8890 said:
Determine the number of revolutions the wheel makes after 2.33 s .
Answer in units of rev.

{snip} … so when I solved I got -13.0589 radians and divided it by 2pi to get revolutions, which gave me -2.07839. I thought the answer would be 2.07839 because revolutions can't be negative but it is not right, should i use the negative or am i doing something wrong?

Hi jj! :smile:

I'm with you on this: the question is badly worded. :frown:

The wheel makes 2.07839 revolutions clockwise!

However, that's clearly not the answer they want - if this is a computer thing where you're only allowed to put in a number, then you must put in the number they want - this isn't a constitutional rights case!

But if you're allowed a full answer, write something like "-2.07839 revolutions in the direction of increasing θ (2.07839 revolutions in the direction of decreasing θ)" - with the answer they want first. :smile:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Your approach is correct, but you made a mistake in your calculation. When you integrated the equation, you should have gotten:

θ = -ω0/σ * e^(-σ * t) + C

Where C is the constant of integration. To solve for C, you can use the initial condition given in the problem, where t = 0 and θ = 0. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

0 = -ω0/σ * e^(-σ * 0) + C

C = ω0/σ

Substituting this value of C back into the equation, we get:

θ = -ω0/σ * (e^(-σ * t) - 1)

Now, plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

θ = -5.45/.23913 * (e^(-.23913 * 2.33) - 1) = -2.0784 radians

To convert this to revolutions, we divide by 2π, giving us:

θ = -2.0784/2π = -0.3309 revolutions

So the wheel makes approximately 0.3309 revolutions after 2.33 seconds. Since we are measuring angular speed, the negative sign indicates that the wheel is rotating in the opposite direction of the initial angular speed (clockwise instead of counterclockwise). I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed point, while linear speed refers to the distance traveled by an object in a straight line per unit of time.

What factors affect angular speed?

The factors that affect angular speed include the radius of rotation, the angular velocity, and the mass of the object. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the angular speed.

How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the time taken for that change to occur. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular velocity by the radius of rotation.

Why is angular speed important in physics?

Angular speed is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion. It helps us understand how objects move around a fixed point and how forces act on them. Angular speed is also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of rotating machinery and predicting the motion of celestial bodies.