1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular speed wheel problem

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hello:

If a person rides on a wheel that has the same speed throughout rotation. Does this mean that magnitude of angular velocity is same throughout rotation? I think if the wheel has the same speed, then the centripetal force is equivalent throughout rotation.

Now, the person decides to carry a spring to weigh himself. The maximum of the spring reads X, and the minimum reads Y.

So, wouldn't I have:

w = angular velocity
    N = normal
    R = radius of wheel
    -N - mg = -mw^2*R (at top)
    N - mg = mw^2*R (at bottom)

So, N top = mw^2*R - mg, N bottom = mw^2*R + mg? And N top = Y, and N bottom = X. I am supposed to find m, but somehow there's something wrong with this equation. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Is that the problem as stated?

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    Yes it is. I think mv^2/R would be the same both top and bottom because your speed is the same, no? Thanks.

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If the wheel is rotating at the same speed, then yes, that is a question that answers itself from what you've given.
    If your problem is to find an expression for m ...

Then you also need to consider that F = k*x such that

kΔX = ΔF = mg + m*ω2r - (mg - m*ω2r)

Then express as m?

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5
    Hello:
    I'm sorry, but what is F= kx? I thought that was the force that causes a displacement of a spring? Thanks.

7. Jun 19, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It is. The displacement of the spring at the bottom is X, at the top it is Y. The Δdisplacement of the spring reading they give you then is (X - Y). And this means the ΔForce is the Force at the Bottom minus the Force it reads at the Top.

You can write then

ΔF = kΔX = mg + m*ω2r - (mg - m*ω2r) = 2*m*ω2r = k*(X - Y)

You can rearrange for m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook