1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular speed

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1
    If a wheel accelerates from rest at 1.0 m/s^2 and I need to find the instantaneous angular speed of the wheel at .10s would this be the proper formula:

final angular speed=initial angular speed + angular acceleration(change in time)

When I use this formula, it comes out to .10 rad/s which just seems to simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2006 #2
    Well, you state the wheel accelerates from rest at 1.0m/s^2. m/s^2 is a measurement of linear acceleration not angular acceleration.

4. Feb 1, 2006 #3
    But how does the angular acceleration fit in then?

I have linear formulas, but I'm not sure which one I would use.

5. Feb 1, 2006 #4
    [tex] \alpha r = a [/tex]

6. Feb 2, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

With a little bit of reasoning one could solve it with basic knowledge...
    Via the linear acceleration one could calculate the linear velocity of the centre of the wheel after the given time. At this stage one could reason that the earth is moving with the same speed in the opposite direction while the wheel is standing still, hence the speed of rotation of the wheel since it is in contact with the earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?