Solving Angular Speed of a Circular Disk

Therefore, the resulting angular speed of the disk is 0.15 rad/s. In summary, the angular speed of the disk, initially stationary with a radius of 4.69 m and mass of 280 kg, is determined by the equation w(final disk) = (I(person)w(final person)) / I(disk), where I(person) = 87.45 kgm^2, I(disk) = 1319.2 kgm^2, and w(final person) = 1.70 m/s. Substituting the values into the equation gives an angular speed of 0.15 rad/s.
teddygrams
A flat uniform circular disk (radius = 4.69 m, mass = 280 kg) is initially stationary. The disk is free to rotate in the horizontal plane about a frictionless axis perpendicular to the center of the disk. A 55.0-kg person, standing 1.59 m from the axis, begins to run on the disk in a circular path and has a tangential speed of 1.70 m/s relative to the ground. Find the resulting angular speed (in rad/s) of the disk.

i know that i have to use :

0=I(person)w(final person) + I(disk)w(final disk)

and i know I=mr^2

but i just don't know how to rearrange everything...correctly..

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular speed of the disk is given by:w(final disk) = (I(person)w(final person)) / I(disk)where I(person) = 55.0 kg * 1.59 m^2 = 87.45 kgm^2I(disk) = 280 kg * 4.69 m^2 = 1319.2 kgm^2w(final person) = 1.70 m/sSubstituting in the above equation gives:w(final disk) = (87.45 kgm^2 * 1.70 m/s) / 1319.2 kgm^2 = 0.15 rad/s

I would first start by defining the variables in the problem. The moment of inertia (I) of the person and the disk can be calculated using the formula I=mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. The final angular speed of the disk can be represented as w(final disk) and the final angular speed of the person can be represented as w(final person).

Next, I would use the conservation of angular momentum principle, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In this problem, the initial angular momentum of the system is zero since the disk is initially stationary. Therefore, we can set the initial angular momentum equal to the final angular momentum.

0=I(person)w(final person) + I(disk)w(final disk)

Now, we can substitute the values we know into the equation. The moment of inertia of the person can be calculated using the formula I=mr^2, where m is the mass of the person and r is the distance from the axis (1.59 m in this case). The moment of inertia of the disk is already given in the problem as 280 kg * 4.69 m^2. We can also substitute the value for the final tangential speed of the person (1.70 m/s) and solve for the final angular speed of the disk.

0=(55 kg * (1.59 m)^2)(w(final person)) + (280 kg * 4.69 m^2)(w(final disk))

Solving for w(final disk), we get:

w(final disk) = -(55 kg * (1.59 m)^2)(w(final person)) / (280 kg * 4.69 m^2)

Plugging in the values, we get:

w(final disk) = -0.032 rad/s

The negative sign indicates that the disk is rotating in the opposite direction of the person's motion. Therefore, the resulting angular speed of the disk is 0.032 rad/s.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a central axis. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Linear speed refers to the distance an object covers in a given time, while angular speed refers to the angle an object rotates through in a given time. They are related through the formula v = ωr, where v is linear speed, ω is angular speed, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle (in radians) by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular path.

What factors can affect the angular speed of a circular disk?

The angular speed of a circular disk can be affected by the magnitude of the applied torque, the mass of the disk, and the moment of inertia of the disk. Friction and air resistance can also affect the angular speed.

Why is it important to solve for the angular speed of a circular disk?

Knowing the angular speed of a circular disk is important in understanding its motion and predicting its behavior. It is also necessary for designing and optimizing machines and systems that involve circular motion, such as engines, turbines, and wheels.