1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity acceleration

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    1. a solid sphere (I=0.4mr^2) of mass 1.5 kg and radius 15 cm moves down a 35 degrees incline 7m long. Assuming it started from rest, what is its angular velocity in rad/s at the bottom of the incline? a)71.27 b)32.25 c)49.98 d)61.69

3.i tried by plugging in the values and trying to find the angular acceleration so i could use the L=I(angular velocity) equation; but my numbers just dont add up. pls guide me through the process

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2
    Use the principle of conservation of Energy. The gravitational potential energy is converted into Angular Kinetic Energy.
  4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    The gravitational potential energy is converted into angular KE AND translational KE. Assuming that rolling without slipping happens here, you can use the relation v=rw to solve for the angular velocity.
  5. Mar 15, 2007 #4
    can someone pls provide me with a mathematical representation of the previous replies?

or at least outline the steps that i will need to follow

im a bit confused about all this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?