Angular velocity and vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of the head of vector C as it rotates about vector A with an angular velocity of 2 radians per second. The solution involves finding a vector parallel to the angular velocity and using the formula v = w x C to calculate the velocity. The final result is v = 2/√75 (7i - 5j + k) × (j - 5k).
wizard85
Angular velocity and vectors...

Homework Statement

Given the following vectors:

[tex]\vec A=\hat i +\hat j - 2\hat k[/tex] and [tex]\vec C=\hat j - 5\hat k[/tex]

Let [tex]\vec A[/tex] and [tex]\vec C[/tex] be drown from a common origin and let [tex]\vec C[/tex] rotate about [tex]\vec A[/tex] with angular velocity [tex]\vec w[/tex] of [tex]2 \frac{rad}{s}[/tex]. Find the velocity [tex]\vec v[/tex] of the head of [tex]\vec C[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My step-by-step way for resolving it, is:

1)I know that [tex]\vec v= w \times \vec C [/tex]
2) By multiplying: [tex]\vec A \times \vec C [/tex] I'll find a vector parallel to [tex]\vec w[/tex] namely D
3) Now, [tex]\vec D= \vec A\times \vec C=(\hat i +\hat j - 2\hat k) \times (\hat j - 5\hat k) = 7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k [/tex]

4) I also know that [tex]\vec w[/tex] is obtained by a linear combination of [tex]\vec D[/tex]'s parameter. Then:

[tex]\vec w= a * \vec D=a * (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k)[/tex]

but [tex]|\vec w|= 2 [/tex] so [tex] a= \frac{2}{|\vec D|}[/tex] --> [tex]a=\sqrt{75} [/tex]. Finally [tex]\vect w= \frac{2}{\sqrt{75}} (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k) [/tex]

Thus:

[tex] \vect v= \vect w \times \vect C = \frac{2}{\sqrt{75}} (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k) \times (\hat j - 5\hat k) [/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks to all... :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

wizard85 said:

Homework Statement

Given the following vectors:

[tex]\vec A=\hat i +\hat j - 2\hat k[/tex] and [tex]\vec C=\hat j - 5\hat k[/tex]

Let [tex]\vec A[/tex] and [tex]\vec C[/tex] be drown from a common origin and let [tex]\vec C[/tex] rotate about [tex]\vec A[/tex] with angular velocity [tex]\vec w[/tex] of [tex]2 \frac{rad}{s}[/tex]. Find the velocity [tex]\vec v[/tex] of the head of [tex]\vec C[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My step-by-step way for resolving it, is:

1)I know that [tex]\vec v= w \times \vec C [/tex]
2) By multiplying: [tex]\vec A \times \vec C [/tex] I'll find a vector parallel to [tex]\vec w[/tex] namely D
3) Now, [tex]\vec D= \vec A\times \vec C=(\hat i +\hat j - 2\hat k) \times (\hat j - 5\hat k) = 7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k [/tex]

4) I also know that [tex]\vec w[/tex] is obtained by a linear combination of [tex]\vec D[/tex]'s parameter. Then:

[tex]\vec w= a * \vec D=a * (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k)[/tex]

but [tex]|\vec w|= 2 [/tex] so [tex] a= \frac{2}{|\vec D|}[/tex] --> [tex]a=\sqrt{75} [/tex]. Finally [tex]\vect w= \frac{2}{\sqrt{75}} (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k) [/tex]

Thus:

[tex] \vect v= \vect w \times \vect C = \frac{2}{\sqrt{75}} (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k) \times (\hat j - 5\hat k) [/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks to all... :smile:

nobody? :frown:

I can confirm that your steps are correct in finding the velocity vector of the head of \vec C. You have correctly used the formula \vec v= w \times \vec C and found the vector \vec D parallel to \vec w. Your final result of \vect v= \frac{2}{\sqrt{75}} (7*\hat i -5*\hat j +\hat k) \times (\hat j - 5\hat k) is also correct.

In general, angular velocity and vectors are important concepts in physics and are often used to describe rotational motion. Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time, and it is typically measured in radians per second. Vectors are used to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and they are an essential tool for analyzing motion in physics.

In this problem, we are given two vectors \vec A and \vec C and asked to find the velocity vector of the head of \vec C as it rotates about \vec A with a given angular velocity \vec w. By using the formula \vec v= w \times \vec C, we can find the velocity vector as a result of the rotation. This problem also demonstrates the use of vector multiplication, specifically the cross product, to find a vector that is parallel to \vec w.

Overall, this problem highlights the importance of understanding both angular velocity and vectors in order to accurately describe and analyze rotational motion.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of a point on a rotating object is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the distance from the center of rotation.

What are the units of angular velocity?

The SI unit for angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be expressed in degrees per second (°/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of an object's angular position, while angular acceleration measures the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. In other words, angular acceleration describes how quickly the angular velocity is changing.

How are vectors used in relation to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the angular velocity vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation, following the right-hand rule. This vector can be used to calculate the direction and magnitude of the linear velocity of a point on a rotating object.