1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity (conceptual)

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. How do various distances influence the angular velocity of earth? Tangential velocity? explain

2. Relevant equations

3. For some reason, I tend to think that distance doesnt relate, but I do not know where to begin to explain. I also could not find the answer in my physics book.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    Im a little unsure of the question, but...

Angular velocity has nothing to do with the radius of ( or distance from ) the earth. Its purely how many times something is rotating per unit time.

Tangential velocity does depend on distance and you need only to think about it. If I want to make one lap around my around a circle of radius R, it would take me t seconds to do it, and you can also visualize the distance covered as a straight line whose length is simply the perimeter of the circle. To run the perimeter of larger and larger circles in the same amount of time ( so you angular velocity would be the same ) you are going to have to run faster and faster to keep up.

Make sense?
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    Kind of, although im also unsure of exactly what she is asking. My teacher is vague like that.
  5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    Ironic :wink:
  6. Nov 15, 2007 #5
    Considering my teacher made up the question, I dont see the irony :lol:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?