1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity equation

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1

DB

I saw this on Wikipedia
    [tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f = v/r[/tex]

What I don't understand is [tex]\omega= \\ \frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f[/tex]
    How can they be equivilant?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THINK OF THE CIRCULAR MOVEMENT WITH CONSTANT ANGULAR VELOCITY...It will enlighten you.And a bit of trigonometry +geometry woudln't hurt at all....

Daniel.

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3

DB

Let me clarify my question:
    How can angular velocity be equivilant to 2pi divided by time in seconds and also equivilant to 2pi x hertz (in seconds obviously)? Isn't frequency dealing with circular motion revolutions per second?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. Jan 30, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it is.That's what i suggested.
    [tex] T=\frac{1}{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega} [/tex]

[tex] \omega =2 \pi \nu [/tex]

All of them are valid for circular motion...And completely equivalent...

WHAT IS ANGULAR VELOCITY...???

Daniel.

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5

DB

ya, ya. I wasn't doubting they weren't equivilant. I just didnt understand why. I see it now though. Thanks man.

7. Jan 31, 2005 #6
    Notice though that the so called "circular motion" which frequency must deal with would rather to be thought of metaphoricly. Circular as in a repeation of a certain entity and motion in the sense of things altering as the function of another variable. We may very well measure the frequency of people taking their dogs out on a walk or the frequency of wagons appearing on a merry go round wheel as the function of the distance along it's rim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook