Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity equation

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1

DB

I saw this on Wikipedia
    [tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f = v/r[/tex]

What I don't understand is [tex]\omega= \\ \frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f[/tex]
    How can they be equivilant?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THINK OF THE CIRCULAR MOVEMENT WITH CONSTANT ANGULAR VELOCITY...It will enlighten you.And a bit of trigonometry +geometry woudln't hurt at all....

Daniel.

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3

DB

Let me clarify my question:
    How can angular velocity be equivilant to 2pi divided by time in seconds and also equivilant to 2pi x hertz (in seconds obviously)? Isn't frequency dealing with circular motion revolutions per second?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. Jan 30, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it is.That's what i suggested.
    [tex] T=\frac{1}{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega} [/tex]

[tex] \omega =2 \pi \nu [/tex]

All of them are valid for circular motion...And completely equivalent...

WHAT IS ANGULAR VELOCITY...???

Daniel.

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5

DB

ya, ya. I wasn't doubting they weren't equivilant. I just didnt understand why. I see it now though. Thanks man.

7. Jan 31, 2005 #6
    Notice though that the so called "circular motion" which frequency must deal with would rather to be thought of metaphoricly. Circular as in a repeation of a certain entity and motion in the sense of things altering as the function of another variable. We may very well measure the frequency of people taking their dogs out on a walk or the frequency of wagons appearing on a merry go round wheel as the function of the distance along it's rim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?