1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular velocity help?

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the conical pendulum, a mass on the end of a string, with the other end of the string fixed to the ceiling. Given the proper push, this pendulum can swing in a circle at an angle theta of 25.5 degrees with respect to the vertical, maintaining the same height throughout its motion. If the mass of the pendulum M is 14.6 kg and the length of the string L is 0.5 m, what is the speed of the mass as it swings?

2. Relevant equations
    v = (coefficient of static friction x Rg)^1/2.
    R = .215 m

I am not sure how to find the coefficient of static friction here, any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why would friction be involved in a pendulum problem?

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3
    The friction was part of an equation in my physics book, but if you have another equation that would be great.

5. Dec 14, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A friction term in a simple pendulum equation? Could you please post the equation and the description of the equation?

I believe that traditional pendulums are considered to have a frictionless pivot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook