1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity of a ball

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball of mass 0.5 kg is attached to the end of a string of length 0.5 m. The ball rotates in a horizontal circular path about a vertical axis. The maximum tension on the string cannot exceed 324 N. What is the maximum possible angular velocity of the ball in rad/s ?

2. Relevant equations

2/r = tension on the string.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think the equation is correct. It should be v and not ω. However, what I wanted to do was to equate the centripetal force with the maximum force on the string. I got the answer as 18, which is not correct. I tried to use mg instead of m but that was wrong too.

The correct equation is T = mg + mLω2, but why?

Why can I not use the centripetal force equation here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    The centripetal force is given by mrω^2 or mv^2/r.
    If this ball is on a table in a horizontal circle the r = 0.5m.
    If the string is being held in the hand then there will be an angle ∅ to the horizontal.
    You will then need to resolve the tension in the string into a vertical component to balance the weight of the ball and a horizontal component to provide the resultant centripetal force.
    Hope this helps

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Are sure it is in a HORIZONTAL circle !!!!!
    The equation you have given as correct is for a VERTICAL circle !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook