Calculating Angular Velocity of a Car with Given Speed and Tire Radius

In summary, to find the number of revolutions per second of a car traveling at 100 km/h with a tire radius of 36cm, we first convert the speed to 2777.78 cm/s. Then, using the formula Θ = a/r, we calculate the angle in radians for one second, which is 77.16. Finally, we divide this number by 2pi to find the number of revolutions per second, which is 12.28. This is done by converting all units to the desired unit (rev/sec), with unwanted units canceling out.
Anakin_k

Homework Statement

"A car is traveling at 100 km/h and the tire of the car has a radius of 36cm. Find the number of revolutions per second."

The Attempt at a Solution

100 km/h * (10,000,000 cm/km) * (1h/3600 secs) = 2777.77777778 cm/s is the speed of the car.

Θ = a/r
Θ = (2777.78) / (36)
Θ = 77.16

To find number of revolutions, we must divide by 2pi.

77.16/2pi = 12.28 revolutions/sec. That is the correct answer.

a) I did not get that on the quiz because I do not understand the mechanics behind the operation. Can anyone walk me through each calculation and state why that step is done?
b) And why is 2777.78 cm/s equal to the arc length? Isn't arc length a distance? I thought 2778.78 cm/s was a velocity measurement.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I thought of it quite a bit and I think I've got the concept.

But just to make sure:

First 100 km/h is converted into 2777.78 cm/s. That is the speed at which the tire travels. So basically, every second, it moves 2777.78 cm. This would make it the arc length.

Now we have to look at it in a perspective of ONE SECOND intervals.

So Θ = a/r
Θ = 77.16 is the value of the angle in radians but for ONLY ONE SECOND.

Then we must find out how many times it rotates in one second or how many revolutions it has so we divide that number by 2pi.

Is my understanding correct?

Last edited:
Here's how I would write it using the "dimensional unit" method:

[tex]\frac {x\ rev}{1 sec}=\frac {100\ km}{1\ hr}\times\frac{1\ hr}{3600\ sec}\times\frac {10^5\ cm}{1\ km}\times\frac {1\ rev}{2\pi 36\ cm}[/tex]

Each conversion fraction is one expressed in different units and the unwanted units cancel out.

So basically you're just converting the units for speed and then dividing by the circumference of the tire, correct?

Last edited:

1. What is angular velocity of a car?

Angular velocity of a car is the rate of change of its angular position with respect to time. It measures how fast the car is rotating around its axis.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a car?

The angular velocity of a car can be affected by factors such as the size and weight of the wheels, the engine power, the gear ratio, and external forces such as friction and air resistance.

4. How is the angular velocity of a car calculated?

The angular velocity of a car can be calculated by dividing the change in its angular position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the linear velocity by the radius of the car's rotation.

5. Why is angular velocity important in car design and performance?

Angular velocity is important in car design and performance because it affects the car's handling, stability, and acceleration. A higher angular velocity can lead to faster turns and better cornering, while a lower angular velocity can result in smoother rides and better fuel efficiency.