Maximizing Angular Velocity of a DC Motor: A Capacitor-Motor Circuit Analysis

In summary: I will try to explain it with some diagrams.In summary, the student attempted to solve for the maximum angular velocity of a DC motor by equating the energy of the capacitor and the kinetic energy of the motor. However, because there are losses in the circuit, the actual velocity attained by the motor will be less than predicted.
Jumponright

Homework Statement

Hi all I am doing a school physics project and I am trying to find the maximum angular velocity of a DC motor. I have built a circuit consisting of a charged capacitor (of known voltage) and a motor. I then try to predict the maximum angular velocity attained by the motor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it possible to equate the energy of a capacitor and the kinetic energy of the motor like this?
[tex] \frac{1}{2} C V^2=\frac{1}{2}Iɷ^2 [/tex]
can i similarly integrate it to find the angular displacement?

Thanks for the help guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Jumponright said:
Is it possible to equate the energy of a capacitor and the kinetic energy of the motor like this?
12CV2=12Iɷ2​
No, you cannot, because there will be conductive losses in the windings of the motor, and the capacitor will not be completely discharged ( due to the back-emf of the motor ).

You must make a complete model of the capacitor/motor, including:

- Capacitor voltage (t).
- Back emf in the motor.
- Self induction in the motor.
- Motor inertia.
- Resistance in motor windings.

The easiest way is to do this by Laplace transforms.

You know how to do that ?

not really, can you explain it? thanks

Jumponright said:
can you explain it?
Well, I can explain it ( with some diagrams, and so on ).

But are you familiar with Laplace transforms at all ?

For example: The impedance of a capacitor, ZC(s) = 1/(sC) ?
Or when you ( in time-domain ) integrate a signal, you divide by s in the Laplace domain ?

If you are familiar with that, I can sketch a diagram with an explanation.

I have just read a bit on Laplace transforms, I can try to understand it

Hesch said:
You must make a complete model of the capacitor/motor, including:

- Capacitor voltage (t).
- Back emf in the motor.
- Self induction in the motor.
- Motor inertia.
- Resistance in motor windings.

Do you have some (realistic) values as for the above? ( also the value of the capacitor ).

I think that an algebraic explanation will be a mess.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed point, while linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How is angular velocity of a motor calculated?

The angular velocity of a motor can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular frequency (number of revolutions per unit time) by the circumference of the motor.

4. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a motor?

The angular velocity of a motor can be affected by the size and shape of the motor, the amount of power or torque applied, and the friction and resistance within the motor. External factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the angular velocity.

5. How is angular velocity of a motor used in practical applications?

The angular velocity of a motor is used in various applications such as robotics, machinery, and vehicles. It is used to control the speed and direction of rotation of these devices, and is also important in calculating the power and efficiency of the motor.