How Does Mass Redistribution Affect Angular Velocity?

In summary, the figure attached depicts two masses held together by a thread on a rotating rod. If the thread breaks, the masses will slide out to the ends of the rod. The angular velocity of the rod will remain unchanged because the moment of inertia is conserved in the system. Using angular momentum as a conserved quantity instead of energy accounts for the unknown factors of friction and radial kinetic energy.
BrownBoi7
The figure attached shows two masses held together by a thread on a rod that is rotating about its center with angular velocity w. If the thread breaks, the masses will slide out to the ends of the rod. How will that affect the rod's angular velocity. Will it increase, decrease, or remain unchanged? Explain.

My attempt:

w= V/R

Neither of the two variables change, wouldn't it remain unchanged?

Thanks!

Attachments

• velocity.JPG
    velocity.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know that neither variable changes? What do you consider a conserved quantity, and why ?

Radius remains the same. Velocity will change I guess. It has something to do with angular momentum may be?
Can you guide me here?

Radius remains the same ? I read that the masses will slide to the ends of the rod ? What is it that we call radius here ?

Hint: Rotational energy is conserved, but what happens to the moment of inertia of the system?

The rotational energy is ##E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}##, where ##I## is the moment of inertia and ##\omega## the angular velocity.

EDIT: Just to be sure, let's rather say that angular momentum, ##L=I\omega## is the quantity that is conserved... The answer is same, anyway.

Last edited:
hilbert2 said:
Hint: Rotational energy is conserved, but what happens to the moment of inertia of the system?

The rotational energy is ##E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}##, where ##I## is the moment of inertia and ##\omega## the angular velocity.

EDIT: Just to be sure, let's rather say that angular momentum, ##L=I\omega## is the quantity that is conserved... The answer is same, anyway.
Yes, you must use angular momentum here, not energy - for two reasons.
First, we don't know whether there is friction. Second, we don't know how much KE there is in the radial motion.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position over time. It is often described as the rotational speed of an object, and is commonly measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object rotating around a fixed axis. Angular velocity is measured in terms of angles, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a rod?

The angular velocity of a rod is affected by the length of the rod, the speed at which it is being rotated, and the distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the circle in which the object is rotating.

5. Why is angular velocity important in physics?

Angular velocity is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion. It is used to describe the motion of objects such as wheels, gears, and other rotating objects. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.