1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity of cockroach

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    A cockroach of mass m lies on the rim of a uniform disk of mass 4.29m that can rotate freely about its center like a merry-go-round. Initially the cockroach and disk rotate together with an angular velocity of 0.271 rad/s. Then the cockroach walks halfway to the center of the disk. (a) What then is the angular velocity of the cockroach-disk system? (b) What is the ratio K/K0 of the new kinetic energy of the system to its initial kinetic energy?

I am not even sure how to begin this problem. I thought you could set up a ratio using v= r times omega. But that didn't work out, so I'm not sure where to even begin, even though the book says it relates to angular momentum.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Consider conservation of angular momentum.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    I figured it had something to do with that, but how am I supposed to figure out the rotational inertia, and for it, do i find the rotational inertic from the cockraoch using the parallel axis theorem and then add it to the rotational inertia of the disk, and then do it once again for the new placement of the cockraoch?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  5. Nov 19, 2006 #4
    I'm still having trouble figuring this one out

6. Nov 19, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That will work. You can treat the cockroach as a point mass.

7. Nov 19, 2006 #6
    So should I treat it as a particle with it as its own axis, or should I still do the parallel axis theorem and count r as the distance between the cockraoch and the center?

8. Nov 19, 2006 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Either way will give you the same answer. Try it and see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?