Can a rotor ever come to a complete stop with a negative angular acceleration?

In summary, Kevinc's teacher demonstrated a "correct" method for solving the problem, but Kevinc's assumption that the rotor would never stop spinning was incorrect.
Kevinc
I just got done taking a test and on of the problems read: A rotor is turning at 200 rpm and has an angular acceleration of -0.015w rads/s^2. How many seconds before the rotor is at 200rpm. How many revolutions before the rotor comes to rest.

Here is my method for solving:
w initial = 200rpm = 20.9 rads/s

a = dw/dt = -0.015w rads/s^2
dw/w = -0.015dt
ln(w) = -0.015t
integrating both sides yeilds
w = Ce^-0.015t
w = 20.9e^-0.015t

I got the correct answer for the first part, but seeing that this is exponential decay I answered that the rotor would never come to a complete rest. I was told that I have the wrong answer. My teacher demonstrated the "correct" approach.

a = (dw/dtheta) x (dtheta/dt) = (dw/dtheta)w = -0.015w
(dw/dtheta) = -0.015
dw = -0.015 dtheta
using 20.9 - 0 and 0-theta for limits of integration yields
-20.9 = -0.015theta
theta = 1393 rads or 222 revolutions

My assumption seems more logical that the rotor would never stop spinning under those circumstances and would there for have infinite revolutions, but i am unable to find any holes in my teachers method.
If anyone can point out any errors in either mine or my teachers method or give any explanation why to seemingly correct methods would yield different answers I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kevinc! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Kevinc said:
My assumption seems more logical that the rotor would never stop spinning under those circumstances and would there for have infinite revolutions …

Even if it does never stop spinning,

why would that mean there would be infinite revolutions? :wink:

Yea your right that was a dumb assumption. It could possibly converge on a specific angle as t goes to infinite. So does it converge on 222 revs as t goes to infinite?

I haven't checked your figures, but I assume so. :smile:

I just integrated my angular velocity equation to get the angle equation and turns out as t goes to infinite theta goes to 222 revs. I put in my answer that the rotor never comes to rest so technically i am correct and it never actually reaches 222 revs so technically he is incorrect. I think I now have a good argument for the teacher. Thanks for the help.

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It measures how quickly an object is rotating around an axis.

2. How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between Angular Velocity and Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is a vector quantity, whereas linear velocity is a scalar quantity.

4. What is an example of a real-life Angular Velocity problem?

One example is a spinning top. The angular velocity of the top is constantly changing as it spins, since its angular displacement is continuously increasing with time.

5. How is Angular Velocity used in physics and engineering?

Angular velocity is an important concept in rotational motion and is used to describe the movement of objects such as wheels, gears, and turbines. It is also used in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and biomechanics.