Particle Angular Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the particle's angular velocity at different points in time using a given graph. The equation ω = θ/t is suggested, but the individual is struggling to find the correct answers for parts b and c. They also question if ω = θ/t is the correct equation and ask for help on finding velocity on a position vs time graph.
user3298

Homework Statement

I am given this graph and asked to find:
a. the particle's angular velocity at t=1s
b. angular velocity at t=4s
c. angular velocity at t=7s

Homework Equations

ω = θ/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 0 for a, which is the correct answer. However, I cannot seem to figure out b or c. For c, I got 2π/7 and it is incorrect. I've also tried 2π*radians/T and that doesn't work either. I'm not really sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure ω = θ/t is the right equation?

how do you find velocity on a graph of position vs time?

1. What is the definition of particle angular velocity?

Particle angular velocity is a measure of how fast a particle is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is particle angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while particle angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position as it rotates around a fixed point. Linear velocity is measured in units of distance per time, while particle angular velocity is measured in units of angle per time.

3. What is the relationship between particle angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Particle angular velocity and angular acceleration are related by the equation ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval. This equation shows that the change in angular velocity is directly proportional to the angular acceleration and time.

4. How is particle angular velocity calculated?

Particle angular velocity can be calculated using the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time. This formula can also be expressed as ω = (2πf), where f is the frequency of rotation in hertz.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle angular velocity?

Particle angular velocity has many practical applications, including in engineering, robotics, and physics. It is used to design and optimize rotating machinery, such as turbines and engines, and to control the movement of robotic arms. In physics, it is used to calculate the centripetal force required to keep objects in circular motion, and in astronomy, it is used to study the rotation of celestial bodies.