Solving Angular Velocity Q: Find Wf for 2 Spinning Disks

I_1 and I_2 are the moments of inertia for the first and second disks, respectively, and \omega_i and \omega_f are the initial and final angular velocities. To solve for \omega_f, you can rearrange the equation to get:\omega_f = (I_1 \omega_i)/(I_1 + I_2)In summary, the problem involves two disks with different moments of inertia and initially different angular velocities. The conservation of angular momentum equation is used to find the final angular velocity of the two disks, which is given by \omega_f = (I_1 \omega_i)/(I_1 + I_2).
Cyrad2
Here's the problem as written:

A disk with moment of inertia I1 rotates with angular velocity Wi about a frictionless vertical axle. A second disk, with moment of inertia I2 initially not rotating, drops onto the first disk. Since the surfaces are rough, the two eventually reach the same angular speed.

I am suppost to find the final angular velocity, Wf, of the two spinning disks after the first disk falls onto the scond, spinning disk.

This is what I've got so far:
The problem is from the conservation of angular momentum section of my textbook, so i figured I'd use:
I2*Wi = (I1+I2)Wf
after i solve for Wf(which is what i want to find) i get:
Wf = (I2*Wi)/(I1+I2)

Is this the correct way to go about solving this? I'm not getting the right numbers when I plug them in...

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrad2 said:
The problem is from the conservation of angular momentum section of my textbook, so i figured I'd use:
I2*Wi = (I1+I2)Wf
after i solve for Wf(which is what i want to find) i get:
Wf = (I2*Wi)/(I1+I2)
You made an error in writing the conservation equation. It should be:
[tex]I_1 \omega_i = (I_1 + I_2) \omega_f[/tex]

Yes, you are on the right track with using the conservation of angular momentum equation. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when solving this problem.

First, make sure you are using the correct values for the moment of inertia for each disk. The moment of inertia, I, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is given by the formula: I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. So, for the first disk, you would use I1 = m1r1^2 and for the second disk, you would use I2 = m2r2^2.

Secondly, when the two disks eventually reach the same angular speed, their moment of inertia will be combined. This means that instead of using I1 and I2 separately, you need to use the combined moment of inertia, I1+I2.

Finally, don't forget to convert all units to a consistent system (such as SI units) before plugging them into the equation.

If you are still having trouble getting the correct answer, double check your values and calculations to make sure they are accurate. Also, don't hesitate to reach out for help from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck!

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically denoted by the symbol "ω" and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the rotation.

3. What is the significance of finding Wf for 2 spinning disks?

Finding Wf, or final angular velocity, for 2 spinning disks is important for understanding the motion of rotating objects and can be used in various applications such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

4. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular velocity.

5. What factors can affect the angular velocity of spinning disks?

The angular velocity of spinning disks can be affected by factors such as the mass, shape, and distribution of the disks, as well as any external forces acting on the disks, such as friction or air resistance.