Angular Velocity Calculations

In summary: Is the ball hanging and rotating on a horizontal table ? or the ball is rotating... on a table stationary at one end?
Enochfoul

Homework Statement

Hi Everyone would somebody please be able to give some advice on the following questions:
Part (a)
A body of mass m kg is attached to a point by string of length 1.25 m. If the mass is rotating in a horizontal circle 0.75 m below the point of attachment, calculate its angular velocity.

I have attached a solution does it look right or is there a more efficient way to calculate it?

Part (b)
If the mass rotates on a table, calculate the force on the table when the speed of rotation is 25 rpm and the mass is 6 kg.

I'm a little bit stuck any idea what formula I would use to begin to solve it? Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

Fc=mω^2r

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached as a photo

Attachments

• Question 1.jpg
    Question 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Enochfoul said:
I have attached a solution does it look right or is there a more efficient way to calculate it?

part A--pl. check your solution - as the speed is very large! you may draw a diagram to represent forces
in part b also draw a free body diagram.

drvrm said:
part A--pl. check your solution - as the speed is very large! you may draw a diagram to represent forces
in part b also draw a free body diagram.
Hi Thanks for the reply.

In relation to my solution there is limited info in the question. Would a diagram be necessary to solve the problem as I believe (but I am probably wrong) that I have calculated the relevant numbers to enter into the formula.

Is there a more efficient way of calculating Angular velocity? given that I only have two pieces of information. The length and the height.

Enochfoul said:
In relation to my solution there is limited info in the question. Would a diagram be necessary to solve the problem as I believe (but I am probably wrong) that I have calculated the relevant numbers to enter into the formula.

Is there a more efficient way of calculating Angular velocity? given that I only have two pieces of information. The length and the height.

In your answer you must define the angle carefully- for example you write cos of theta = h/L -so you are taking theta angle as the angle made by the string with the vertical drawn at point of suspension.
you have two forces working -
1. the tension in the string pulling along length-you are calling it F
2. the weight of the bob acting vertically down ward
for the motion in circular path to be sustained you need one centripetal force acting horizontally towards the centre , which must be provided by the unbalanced force available to the system .
therefore resolve the weight m.g in the direction along length opposite to the F and these two balance each other-must be equal.
the other resolved component along the horizontal radial direction of m.g will give you the centripetal force and calculate ang. velocity-see if it changes your answer- then we may tackle part (b).

Likes Enochfoul
Enochfoul said:
Part (b)
If the mass rotates on a table, calculate the force on the table when the speed of rotation is 25 rpm and the mass is 6 kg.

I'm a little bit stuck any idea what formula I would use to begin to solve it? Thanks in advance

you just liked my previous post but i will request to work it out so that a check can be done with numbers!
now coming to the part -b-

the ball is rotating on the table so figure out the forces -
1. ball's weight acting vertically downward.
2. the normal reaction perpendicular to table passing through the centre of the ball--...
3. as it is rotating the required centripetal force pointing towards the centre- must be provided by the string
you have not said anything about the friction -so one can not do more !

drvrm said:
you just liked my previous post but i will request to work it out so that a check can be done with numbers!
now coming to the part -b-

the ball is rotating on the table so figure out the forces -
1. ball's weight acting vertically downward.
2. the normal reaction perpendicular to table passing through the centre of the ball--...
3. as it is rotating the required centripetal force pointing towards the centre- must be provided by the string
you have not said anything about the friction -so one can not do more !
I have had another go and have attempted the second part.

How do you think it looks now?

Attachments

• 1a.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 264
  • 1b.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
Enochfoul said:
I have had another go and have attempted the second part.

How do you think it looks now?

now part a seems to be good -numbers may be checked.
part b i have a question?
Is the ball hanging and rotating on a horizontal table ?
or the ball is rotating on the table about a centre 0 attached with the string?
If the case of first one the additional force is normal reaction of the table on the ball. so your work out seems to be good.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or spins around a fixed point. It is typically expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is change in angular displacement, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

4. How does angular velocity relate to centripetal acceleration?

Angular velocity is directly proportional to centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration of an object towards the center of its circular path. The greater the angular velocity, the greater the centripetal acceleration.

5. How does angular velocity change during rotational motion?

During rotational motion, angular velocity can change due to changes in the object's rotational speed or the radius of its circular path. It can also change direction if the direction of rotation changes.