Calculating Angular Velocity of Earth's Daily, Yearly, and Monthly Motions

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the angular velocity of the Earth, due to its daily spin on its axis, its yearly motion around the sun, and our moon's monthly motion around the earth. The person has completed their work and wants to double check before entering it into an online platform. They have also mentioned the importance of being accurate in order to avoid losing points.
valeriex0x

Homework Statement

I'd like to know if I am on the right track. I'm not sure if I am doing this right...

Find the angular velocity, in rad/s, of the Earth due to its daily spin on its axis, the Earth due to its yearly motion around the sun, and our moon due to its monthly motion around the earth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attachment I scanned my work!

Attachments

• physics 1.jpg
    physics 1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 607
Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing it correctly. The two parts you have done are right.
And a quick couple google searches reveals your approximate answers to be very close indeed to the real values.

yayy. thanks your right i got them all correct... just trying to double check my work before I enter it into masteringphysics since they take off ridiculous amounts of points. etc etc. thanks

1. What is Angular Velocity of the Earth?

Angular Velocity of the Earth refers to the rate at which the Earth rotates on its axis. It is measured in degrees per unit of time, such as degrees per day or degrees per hour.

2. How is Angular Velocity of the Earth calculated?

Angular Velocity of the Earth is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete one rotation. This is typically represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

3. What factors can affect the Angular Velocity of the Earth?

The Angular Velocity of the Earth can be affected by various factors including changes in the Earth's mass distribution, changes in the Earth's shape, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies like the moon and the sun.

4. What is the average Angular Velocity of the Earth?

The average Angular Velocity of the Earth is approximately 0.004167 degrees per second, or 15 degrees per hour. This means that it takes the Earth approximately 24 hours to complete one full rotation on its axis.

5. How does the Angular Velocity of the Earth impact our daily lives?

The Angular Velocity of the Earth plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is responsible for creating day and night, as well as influencing weather patterns and the Earth's magnetic field. It also affects the length of our days and seasons.