1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity using Kinetic Energy, Moment of Interia and cross shaped object.

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    There is a cross shaped object with masses on each arm, the arms are different lengths and they are perpendicular to each other. the longer rod, (7m radius from center) has two 12kg masses, one on each end. The shorter rod (3.5m radius from center) has two 24kg masses one on each end. I=1764kgm^2. Total KE= 4.2J. I need to find angular velocity in radians/sec.

So far im trying KE=1/2Iw^2+1/2mv^2 and i keep getting the wrong answer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jscherf92! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You can use 1/2 Iω2 or 1/2 mv2 but not both (unless the centre of mass is moving, in which case it's 1/2 Iω2 + 1/2 mvc.o.m2) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook